Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Starlink

If it is a phased array, it doesn’t need to mechanically track the satellites. It can’t anyway (there are many) which is why it is a phased array

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As dublinpilot already said, the existing receiver can’t be used (packaging issues, moving platform).

As it is a phased array, it is quite conceivable both of those problems can be fixed with smart electronics and some extra sensors. In fact, if done right, you can use starlink’s tracking of its satellites (and some computation) to continuously right your gyro/provide attitude data… space for some innovation … the problem is that GA market is so miniscule it is not clear it is worth it

Slovakia

59cm would fit in the rear fuselage of a Jodel DR1050. That was where our transponder and com aerials were fitted.
Maybe wood-and-fabric will come back into fashion. -)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

In the news today:

Space X’s Starlink internet constellation has angered Russia as it was reported that the Starlink satellite constellation was used to guide and modify fire on the Black Sea Fleet’s flagship, the cruiser Moskva and it sank because of that. This was revealed by new data from the Russian Federation’s General Staff. 

Dmitry Medvedev, who has ordered to destroy the Starlink satellite constellation located over Russian Federation territory, the special military operation zone and the Black Sea basin in order to ensure the security of all units participating in the special military operation

Hopefully I can still cancel my order, and wait for a while…

LRIA, Romania

That’s interesting but probably BS, like almost everything coming out of Russia.

A search finds various articles – example – on using Starlink for positioning. It is very nonstandard, needs special equipment for the ~11.3GHz, and is slow to get a fix (10 mins plus), but is very accurate, and one can see Russia probably forgot to jam it. They are already jamming and spoofing standard GPS.

At the same time I find it hard to believe that Ukraine modified the Neptune missiles to use Starlink for navigation. Such missiles, designed for use where GPS has been jammed, will have high grade INS – see here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AlexTB20 wrote:

Dmitry Medvedev, who has ordered to destroy the Starlink satellite constellation located over Russian Federation territory, the special military operation zone and the Black Sea basin in order to ensure the security of all units participating in the special military operation

This has already been debunked as fake. Furthermore, Starlink satellites are in low orbits and thus don’t remain over the same area continuously.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Very interesting article. In this digital era, soon INS/IRS will become obsolete.

I just wonder if russians decide to demonstrate their ability of knocking down a LEO satellite, wouldn’t the Kessler effect result in a real catastrophe?

Last Edited by AlexTB20 at 16 Apr 16:56
LRIA, Romania

I don’t think that is a smart move.

a) Low Earth Orbit satelites are all over the place. I don’t know how many need to be knocked out to have an effect at all.
b) That would be attacking the US. Admittedly, that’s not sending a cruise missile to Texas to blow up Elon Musk’s car, but still, I cannot believe the US Governmernt will let that go – they’ll start knocking out Russian satellites in return and I really don’t want to imagine into what that could spiral…

Berlin, Germany

It is not at all simple (and therefore expensive) to shoot down such a small satellite from the orbit.
Even if they had the technology to do that (I doubt), they for sure do not have the resources to target the entire network of dozens if not hundreds of Starlinks that pass over the region.

Germany

Starlink mobile in Europe

Prices are down

LFLY, France
Sign in to add your message