Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interesting stuff on UK CAA policy on London City overflight by SE aircraft

Last time I checked, UK CAA used its derogated powers to put this back to the old rule i.e. less restrictive than SERA. For a quick answer, I suggest the Skyway Code.

[ skyway code ]

strip near EGGW

UK General Exemptions are notified in Official Record Series 4 (link).

London, United Kingdom

If it comes to flights over London, SERA is actually LESS restrictive than the old ANO.

Under the ANO, you had to fly at a height that would “allow you to alight clear of the congested area”, which ruled out using anything within the congested area as a prospective emergency landing site. And the CAA considered the Thames, the parks etc. as within the congested area.

Now it is just “landing without undue hazard”.

@bookworm,

I also wonder whether SERA 3105 is actually a rule, or just a preamble and 5005(f) / 5015(b) are authoritative. Or in other words, is 1000ft above the highest obstacle sufficient, or do I have to take the “landing without undue hazard” into account as well? I assume yes, but this is badly written…

Last Edited by Cobalt at 17 Oct 21:39
Biggin Hill

SERA is still restrictive for low flying rule of 500ft above surface (inclduing sea water) while ANO limit is 500ft above vessel/obstacle/person and has provision for many other stuffs (e.g. hill soaring, displays…)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I always wondered how the old rule worked in practise: for instance, the Manchester Low Level route – there are areas where you can land “without causing undue hazard” while still being in what I have to imagine were always considered “congested areas”, which pre-SERA made the Manchester LLR seem pretty dodgy to legally use by SE traffic. There was also the old 1500 foot rule (which got reduced to 1000 feet even before SERA), which the Manchester LLR clearly didn’t meet over Wigan or Warrington (and back then the ceiling of the M’cr LLR was even lower than it is today).

Last Edited by alioth at 18 Oct 14:50
Andreas IOM

From a practical point of view does this suggest anything has changed?

The Lea valley is an interesting route. I have always felt that if you are prepared to ditch in water most of it is fine. In fact it is the area immediately south of the river that seems to me to prevent a few challenges, unless of course you route Eastwards down the Thames before turning south.

North of city airport is daily hospitable – plenty of lakes / large roads / even a runways. It’s the south of the thames a find a bit less comfortable. There you essentially only have small parks and train tracks to head for

Who cares if a light airplane (if ever at all) crashes into a park or street in London? What’s gonna happen? Nothing!
The authorities should be more concerned about the knife swinging gangs on Mopeds driving on the sidewalk snitching iPhones from pedestrians…
Ridiculous bureauCRAZY!

always learning
LO__, Austria

The last time an aircraft crashed into a street in London, an innocent passer-by was killed.

EGKB Biggin Hill

How many people have since been killed due to car accidents?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message