Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t using an airfield/airport with an ICAO designator mandatory for cross border flights to be able to claim freedom of flights rights?

No, an ICAO indicator does absolutely nothing.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

that filing a flight plan implies that you tell some “authority” how you’re going to fly. I do have some sympathy with that view.

In today’s world this cry for freedom sounds really childish to put it mildly. Risking for this post to end up in garbage deposit thread, I’d say that for me it’s typical conspiracy theorist/Trump voter standpoint.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

when flying cross border even in Schengen (which AFAIK does not automatically apply to GA movements, as movement by aircraft not operated commercially it is not part of the treaty agreements)

So you mean that those countries that allow private flights to pass via non-international aerodromes (=ALL schengen countries) are actually doing it wrong, as the Schengen treaty does not allow it?

MichaLSA wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong

I have no idea…

Dan
LRAR, LRDV, LRTR, Romania

boscomantico wrote:

So you mean that those countries that allow private flights to pass via non-international aerodromes (=ALL schengen countries) are actually doing it wrong, as the Schengen treaty does not allow it?

I don’t know. The only thing I know for sure was the interpretation of the Danish Border Police being very strict in mandatory ICAO designated airfields only for cross border flying, even though that was commonly believed to be ok before.

I don’t talk of international aerodromes, I am talking airfields without ICAO designator = International(ICAO) // National(ICAO) // National(non-ICAO aka ZZZZ), my uncertainty being the very last, as this was @doillq referred to.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 01 Apr 15:20
Germany

I don’t know. The only thing I know for sure was the interpretation of the Danish Border Police being very strict in mandatory ICAO designated airfields only for cross border flying, even though that was commonly believed to be ok before.

The Danish AIP still says that all international flights must use international aerodromes. But this is not applied in practice. Also, it does not refer to aerodromes with ICAO code. It refers to a list of international aerodromes. But there are several aerodromes not on that list that do have an ICAO code.

I had a look at the Schengen Borders Code.

For the purpose of this discussion, it states (obviously) that there is to be no (regular) border checks at internal borders. As regards aviation, the interesting thing is the definition of internal border:

1. ‘internal borders’ means:
(a) the common land borders, including river and lake borders, of the Member States;
(b) the airports of the Member States for internal flights;
(c) sea, river and lake ports of the Member States for regular internal ferry connections

To understand point (b), we look at this definition:

3. ‘internal flight’ means any flight exclusively to or from the terri­tories of the Member States and not landing in the territory of a third country;

So from what I understand, any airport of a Member State is an internal border and thus no border checks should be made there.

But, of course, IANAL.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Apr 16:05
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Emir wrote:

In today’s world this cry for freedom sounds really childish to put it mildly.

Given the current trend of authoritarianism in Europe, I find it very far from childish. I don’t see a problem today, but there could very well be tomorrow.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Apr 16:07
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LDOS doesn‘t seem to be a bad place

Instead of €30, technical stop is €50.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ok, just throw your mobile away and nobody will be able to track you. And your payment card. Oh… it’s not possible in Sweden.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message