Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if.. you lost your medical?

Clearly it depends on what the reason is.

The possibility of sudden incapacitation is the most serious, but all the other stuff can probably be worked on. For example obesity (and all the other stuff that is tied in with that) can certainly be worked on, though it isn't easy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I'd be pretty upset, but I'd probably find something else to throw myself into. I'd possibly consider getting into first-person-view model aircraft and doing all the low-flying stunts I currently don't. Or else perhaps mentoring pilots with less experience but full medicals.

And as other people have pointed out, I would make certain it isn't just a doctor being over-cautious. I presume it's an AME/CAA who is imposing the restrictions?

This year I approached the head of FCL at LBA (German LBA) during the Aero show. I asked her what the LBA would do if I present them with a medical from say Bulgaria or any other EASA member state. She said that according to the new EU directives, she'd have to accept it and confirmed that the phenomenon of international medical shopping does exist.

Didn't EASA try to stop this by declaring that the authority holding your medical records must be the same one as the one that issued your license?

That rule was widely claimed to have been done to stop "medical tourism".

But if it remains possible to get an individual medical done in another country, that defeats that measure totally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would take off for the last time into the sunset over the sea until fuel runs out ...

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

There is a good chance this will happen next time I go and see a doc in this country, unless they finally agree that they have no right to ignore EASA FCL and impose their own stricter limits. If I were to loose my medical to something like that, basically, I have two options, both of which undesirable: a) to finally move to a place where aviation is not ruled by health freaks and regulation maniacs (and those places get rarer) or b) to finally give up and succomb to the evil empire.

Clearly, if it were something severe which warrants grounding and not just a whim of some triatlonist AME, I'd have to call it quits and face the final curtain.

Probably I'd start travelling big time with the airlines to get over the loss, but somehow I fear it will be difficult, having lived for aviation since my youth. I'd definitly need to move away from aviation altogether as it would be too painful to watch from the sidelines.

I used to think like African Eagle but frankly, it would be the waste of a perfectly good aeroplane which could give someone else the joy it currently gives me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

When that happens, I'm probably retired since long, live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and wear dungarees. Who's gonna stop me from taking my old hand propped Cub around the farm field for a little spin? Let them take my medical. Let them take my license. They can't take the farm or the Cub;)

Who's gonna stop me from taking my old hand propped Cub around the farm field for a little spin? Let them take my medical. Let them take my license. They can't take the farm or the Cub;)

`I can't help but think that this is a lot more common than the authorities might think. In rural America and even in rural England there are places where nobody cares about trivialities like rules and licences...

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

They can't take the farm or the Cub;)

me too.....

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

In rural America and even in rural England ...

Even in non-rural Germany as last year's crash of Learjet D-CMMM shows (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20120915-0). Long time de-registered multi-crew aircraft had been operated for several years by a single pilot without license and he even visited large airports ... Wonder how many like that are still flying around.

But if it remains possible to get an individual medical done in another country, that defeats that measure totally.

Yes, but. As long as you have a valid medical you can go see any doctor of your choice. Anywhere in JAR/EASAland. So if I have a layover day in Sofia I could save my employer (who pays for my medical) a few Euros by visiting a local AME for revalidation of my medical. EASA is EASA, as Achim wrote they will have to accept that anywhere. But when I visit my usual AME at home and he finds a reason not to revalidate my medical, the first thing he has to do is to inform our authorities about that. And then things will evolve according article FCL 3.125 (and also 3.120 that forbids you to cheat). The medical of your Bulgarian AME will be considered as a "secondary review" and "the decision shall be referred to the Authority" as of which AMEs opinion to follow. (Guess which one the german LBA will follow in case a german AME has declared you unfit but a Bulgarian one fit...)

Over the years I have met several colleagues who had lengthy litigations with AMEs and Authorities over issues with their medical. With very different outcome.

EDDS - Stuttgart

but all the other stuff can probably be worked on. For example obesity (and all the other stuff that is tied in with that) can certainly be worked on, though it isn't easy.>

I failed my AME medical on the urine sugar test in November 2007, and was referred to my GP. After blood tests, I got an early morning call, went over, and he confirmed i was a diabetic. I went home in shock, took my last 500ml bottle of diet coke in my pocket, and walked 10 miles along a rough coast path, with no food. I took the bus back, after buying a microwavable pack of carrot/broccoli/brussels sprouts. I microwaved and ate them, with cottage cheese and a glass of wine, had a hot bath, and went to bed. I walked 10 miles most days, after a black coffee and 2 slices toast breakfast, with only water until my low calorie, high roughage, evening meal. I had grilled steak or salmon with salad every third day. And ate oranges. I had an appointment with a dietician, who looked at my diet and exercise record, and more or less said I was lying, and could not walk that distance without food.She said I should face up to being a 66 year old diabetic. I lost weight, got my blood sugar down, and got my Class 2 medical back in February 2008, and have kept the sugar down without any medication since.

PS When I carried my GPS and checked,she was right about the distance - it was only 9.98NM

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message