Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if.. you lost your medical?

Get into microlighting?

Microlight medical is valid for life…. in fact I don’t understand why more pilots don’t take a couple of hours of instruction while all is well and get a microlight licence to tuck away for later, just in case…

Bordeaux

I think the issue for many pilots (this is a topic which almost nobody wants to discuss openly, for obvious reasons) is that once you are diagnosed with certain conditions, you can’t “drop back” to anything. Not even to a bus.

I know one pilot (who is no longer flying) who went to his GP with chest pains. There was some debate as to whether this was indigestion or something worse, but he insisted it was the former and he dropped back to the NPPL privileges. That sort of thing is legally marginal and all these medical fallback options (including the new US sub-class3 medical) rely on you not actually getting diagnosed with most things (it relies on you self diagnosing i.e. not telling anybody and quietly not renewing your Class 2 or whatever).

The moment you do the right thing and get yourself looked at, it may be too late to drop back. It depends on the details…

In the UK, the microlight license uses the NPPL medical declaration

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The moment you do the right thing and get yourself looked at, it is too late to drop back.

I’m not entirely sure about that. Medical conditions are often changing over time, even chronic ones (except age of course ) But, while you are fit and healthy, it is an idea to get as many licenses you can, then you are free to step down gradually. LAPL is automatic, as I understand it. I went to the doc the other week, and got two “medicals” (two stamps). LAPL and PPL. The LAPL lasts longer. For microlight, the medical requirements are car license (or something, I’m not sure, my PPL medical also covers microlight).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LAPL is automatic,…

The LAPL requires a class 2 medical, just as the PPL. After losing class 2 it is really only microlight, glider or homebuilt in countries which accept that self declaration.

But honestly, if I lose my medical for anything but a very trivial reason I will do something else instead of flying.

EDDS - Stuttgart

One problem with losing your medical though, is that you can lose it because the AME find something that they think is worth investigating (but you have no symptoms). Depending on what it is, you could lose your medical while it’s investigated, which of course can take time.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Depending on what it is, you could lose your medical while it’s investigated, which of course can take time.

A colleague lost his medical for half a year while the authority was investigating whether or not the medication he was taking for his back pain was compatible with flying or not… In the end he changed to a less effective medicine so that he could fly again, because it could have lasted another month, a year or a decade until the officials would have decided.
But flying a microlight during that half year would not have helped him to stay current on the type he usually flies.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes; the guy I mentioned earlier (who gave up totally) was looking at a few k’s worth of tests and consultant reports, for the CAA. That is OK if you can throw a few k at any given problem (as I suspect most aircraft owners can, otherwise they won’t be owners for long) but there are many low time renters (or members of large syndicates) who can’t find that sort of money. And you won’t get it on the NHS… On the NHS, if they see you standing up they send you home – unless you tell them you are a pilot and then they take it seriously A casual mention of “Germanwings” would probably also be effective.

Administrator

dublinpilot wrote:

One problem with losing your medical though, is that you can lose it because the AME find something that they think is worth investigating (but you have no symptoms).

Like what? The only thing he checks is blood pressure, and everyone can “adjust” it simply by being aware of what you put in your mouth and do a little exercise. Then it’s the EKG, but if that starts to foul up, you will be better off on the ground in any case. I look at the medical more as the “EU checks” on cars. Simple checks to see if basic essentials like brakes, steering, suspension and tires are OK. If they’re not OK, it’s probably better to get the car off the road until it is fixed.

It’s the “family doctor” that do thorough checks, and sends you to hospital for no good reason …

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Clearly you have different AMEs in Norway, or maybe yours fancies you

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Clearly you have different AMEs in Norway, or maybe yours fancies you

Mine is not much different. Due to my age and IR I have to take an audiogram and ECG, but apart from that the only checks he does which could realistically indicate something “worth investigating but without symptoms” is taking blood pressure and urine samples. The really important thing is what you yourself tell him about your health situation! (Like in Germany, the AME doesn’t have access to your health records without your approval.)

What happens at an AME examination in the UK?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message