Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

You are arguing a point which nobody is arguing.

Nobody is under an obligation to do anything (in this context), but if one is going to do an anti war protest they should not be inconveniencing people who have no dog in the game.

In reality, in this case, they are completely wasting their time, because the only aggressor is Putin/Russia and they don’t give a damn what anybody thinks. The war will be over the day Russia withdraws.

I do find it curiously interesting how the various environmental protesters have gone silent. It won’t do them any good PR-wise. I thus suspect they aren’t particularly bright. The polls around Europe show a lot of support for Ukraine – with some exceptions like e.g. Hungary. More so after today’s news. If one is a public figure, a conspicuously non-aligned position on this is going to be correctly interpreted by the public

We live in a curious world… Here in the UK, some of the biggest “charities” are also conspicuously silent, while putting out some truly bizzare (and sometimes sick) stuff on the other trendy topics (gender uncertainty and all the related angles – these are supported by < 1% of the population). It seems that a lot of bodies just have no idea which way to align anymore. The business in Ukraine has really exposed a lot of what some people are really like.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

By and large environmentalists are against dams, which isn’t to say they would want to see them destroyed in quite this manner.

Is this one of the rare ‘good dams’ given its role in keeping Crimea green, and that it has probably stopped making much methane? Will it be reconstructed in time, or will it be decided that the new status quo should be left alone?

Last Edited by kwlf at 07 Jun 22:29

Russia let it overfill over recent months. Whether it collapsed through neglect or as the result of an explosion, this seems to me to imply culpability on their part.

kwlf wrote:

Russia let it overfill over recent months. Whether it collapsed through neglect or as the result of an explosion, this seems to me to imply culpability on their part.

Absolutely, and letting it overfill was not a neglect either: they first let it down to the bare minimum in February, and only then allowed it to overfill:

Graham wrote:

Perhaps the dams were of a different size or design, but to get one in the rough ballpark the bouncing bombs dropped by RAF 617 Squadron to attack the damns of the Ruhr valley contained ~ 3 tons of HE. It generally required multiple hits to breach, but that may have been due to the difficulty of placing them.

Those were relatively tall and thin, this one is pretty squat, and engineers say it was intentionally overdesigned to withstand non-nuclear bombing. It was built in 1950, so the WWII experience was certainly taken into account.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 07 Jun 23:45
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

On June 6, at 2:54 a.m. Kyiv time, Norwegian seismologists from the organization “Norsar” recorded an explosion at the site of the Kakhovskaya HPP, – TSR
The time and place coincide with media reports of the dam collapse. The explosion was recorded by a measuring station in Romania. The distance from the dam is 620 km.

There are also intercepted calls to Russian military getting them to move their armour out of there before the explosion. However a lot of infantry were not warned.

Administrator

Why should environmentalists have an obligation to protest the war that you and I do not?

Because the war for which they are in large part responsible is an epic environmental and humanitarian disaster.

Useful idiots like Greta Thunberg and her eco-pacifist disciples were instrumental in disarming European NATO members while making them heavily dependent on “low carbon” Russian gas and oil. This ensured a tsunami of (mostly German) €€€s to support Putin’s military operation and, more than any nuclear sabre-rattling, limited and delayed European political and military support for Ukraine – thereby prolonging the war and deepening its environmental footprint.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Because the war for which they are in large part responsible is an epic environmental and humanitarian disaster

So now it is no more the naive and/or traitorous German politicians who are responsible for the war, but environmentalists!? I think we better move back to flying topics.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Little Greta has finally been told by her PR team that she needs to move with the prevailing wind, otherwise she risks becoming history

There are multiple responsibilities for how Europe relocated itself into Putin’s pocket. A lot of “re-education” is taking place.

Yes it is a nontrivial decision on whether to run non-GA threads at all. I think, on balance, it is a good thing if it is something significant. But there is a cost. For example, there is close to zero discussion of the Russian adventure on the German domestic forum, and I am sure for good and obvious reasons: it will be a highly divisive topic there. Same as brexit is/was in the UK and everywhere else. One does run the risk of people leaving the forum. There is also the issue of some people posting only in those threads and not in anything to do with GA, hence the text in our Guidelines about that, although to be fair that was added to deal with one particularly cunning agent provocateur whose mission was to damage EuroGA and who was eventually banned.

This is interesting regarding the dam.

Administrator

hello from germany into non-EU-GB:-))

ok – i have been 2 x in russia the recent months and getting impressions by talking w interesting
people about this topic.

the war against russia via ukr started already in feb 2021 when germany and other eu-countries
were paralized by mental lock-downs.

a friend of mine comes from slovakia and he told me after returning to germany that a 4 line
train track was doing 2 days every 2 hours a long trail w military stuff like tanks, vehicles,
supporting material day and night behind his little village. the next days…the trains returned
empty.

everything was prepared….

my feeling is – as soon as trump returns to power in usa the whole bullshit stopps w support
f ukr i hope. ukr is not in nato, is not eu-member and one of the corupt countries…and want to
become nato and eu-member – allah hu akbar…- please leave ukr where it is…let putin make
a big airfield out of this country w cool uncontroled airstrips so we can visit and enjoy krimskoje
in sebastopol.

my feeling is that us-navy-seals destroyed the dam…the future will show…hello edward snowden…
we wait for the next ukraina-leaks…where is mr assange???

greetings from dubai
ingo fuhrmeister/BAC Digital

Dear ingo fuhrmeister

Welcome to EuroGA

I see your vast number of posts on the German domestic site, of course, because they didn’t do their code too well and hovering over a nickname usually reveals the poster’s name or email so I did wonder how long it would be before you popped up on EuroGA. The internet is large but it can absorb only a finite volume of material of this calibre.

hello from germany into non-EU-GB:-))

EuroGA is pan European, and most posters here are non-UK, so maybe you have the wrong forum?

my feeling is that us-navy-seals destroyed the dam…the future will show…hello edward snowden…
we wait for the next ukraina-leaks…where is mr assange???

Snowden is in Russia and no doubt, as with the other turncoat Mr Philby, they set him up with a very sturdy babushka to take care of all his requirements – one of these

Assange is in jail in the UK., with his classified material access restricted to HM Prison System policy on trans inmates. A hot topic right now so I am sure he’s really getting stuck in. A solid grounding in the subject will serve him well upon his forthcoming extradition to the US since most of it started over there.

A key redeeming factor is that one can tell your post was not written by ChatGPT because that piece of dodgy “AI” would start a sentence with an uppercase letter

Send all our greetings to your neighbour “charlie 22”, oops I meant Vanessa Cardigan, and do make sure his filler caps are securely in place before his next flight

Administrator
Sign in to add your message