Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

He’s not talking about Putin today. That video is 6 years old.

Indeed, 6 years ago is a long time: Crimea was rational & calculated risk, things have changed a lot since, going after Kyiv is an expensive mistake: as far as everybody concerned*, VP now as of 2022 is an “isolated bad loser with nukes” and he is leading a dying superpower with zombie economy into the abyss

*Except: North Korea, Eritrea, Iran, Belarus, Chechnya

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

You get half of your money back and therefore I can legally keep the other half”

You’d be surprised how often that works. Because like this, you will get the important bits back and apart will probably know who stole it. Hence, once you got it, you can go after them.

There was the famous case of a camera being stolen out of a locker room after a world championship win of the German soccer team, which had irreplacable footage on it. The owner appealed to those who stole it to return the cassette and happily hang on to the camera. They returned the tape and, as far as I know, were found out by police.

Malibuflyer wrote:

In my opinion it’s actually worse to sign an agreement that legalizes part of the unlawful claims of russia.

That does not have to be the case. Most cease fire agreements are temporary to say the least, see the Minsk accords. They are merely a base for later negotiations which then will determine what really follows. The main thing right now is to stop the military intervention. Everything else will need to be sorted later.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney Driver, put yourself in the position of the Ukraniens. Yes it is possible that Russia take over all the major cities there. Yes its possible, even likely that Zelenski and his goverment are killed or captured and sent off to the gulags. But many of these people are considered heroes in the Ukraine. Vladimir Klitchcov, mayor of Kyiv was already an Ukrainien hero before the war began. Do you really believe that the people of Ukraine are going to accept any sort of rule from Russia, having tasted freedom.
They might well agree not to try to join NATO or the EU for a set interval.
They might even be able to.come to an agreement on Crimea and the Donbas region., brokered possibly by the Chinese.
But the more this war goes on and the more atrocities which are committed, in the name of Russia, IMO the more stubborn the Ukraniens will become.
If a pro Russian government is put in place, these stubborn Ukraniens will still be around, seething and waiting for a time when they can take their revenge, and even taking revenge when they can get away with it. At some stage the Russians will ask themelves, “is it worth it?”
By then Putin and his cronies may well be long gone and Russia may well be an economic basket case.
The only golden bridge for Putin, Lavarov, Medvedev and others now is to get themselves and their families to somewhere safe where they can live quietly and well on the billions of dollars that they have stashed away whilst Lavarov’s last duty before retirement would be to blame all the heads of the army, navy and airforce for overstepping their authority, and leaving them to carry the war crimes can on their military salaries.

France

I’ve had an idea.
This thread will get unlocked every time there have been 10 new posts on GA topics, and then 10 posts here will be allowed
Someone suggested we should require some EuroGA airport database reports as well

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why do you think he’s on such a path?

I have experience from only one (luckily) war and it was very similar to what’s going on in Ukraine. I am not an analyst but I hear same words and I see same actions.

The rhetorics in Yugoslav wars was the same – it started with “all nations are actually Serbs, the only difference is religion, some of them through history became catholics and muslims”, to be continued with “Croatia and Bosnia are occupied by nationalists, they have to be liberated”, to develop with “Croats and Bosnians are fascists and have to be defeated” and to end up with “Bosnians are descendants or Turks who ruled Serbia for 500 years and thus have to be eliminated”. That narrative resulted in Srebrenica genocide when just in few days beginning of July 1995 Serbian military massacred more than 8.000 Bosnian civilians, mainly men and boys.

Siege and destroying Croatian (Vukovar, Dubrovnik) and Bosnian (Sarajevo, Mostar) cities started the same end ended with cities left in ruins. The war ended when Serbian forces were military defeated and when Serbia economically wasn’t capable to continue the war.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Malibuflyer wrote:

Why would you attack a convoy of tanks that is stranded in the middle of nowhere for fuel starvation?

Maybe because it is full with military equipment planed to be used to destroy your country? 70 km of it. It’s a sitting duck, and it’s just standing there. Maybe it’s poorly planned by the Russians, maybe they are poorly organized. But, letting that convoy just sit there is complete insanity (by both parties). That convoy sitting there is insanity and not taking it out is insanity. The only logic left is that Russia benefits from this bizarre situation. And it’s not a small benefit, it’s like all or nothing kind of benefit. The conclusion is that the Russians know this convoy is safe as it is, and it’s no hurry at the moment. What looks like insanity and chaos to us, is just an insignificant detail. For the Ukrainians it’s 100% disaster though.

There are lots of odd stuff going on. It’s just that in all the bizarre and unexplainable situations, Russia is the part that will benefit. Zelenskyj is literally crying for help now, and we are not giving it to him. That is all we need to know about the situation.

Malibuflyer wrote:

How do you conquer a city with tanks? Obviously you can drive into it but what next? Tanks are great to destroy things – they are not so great to govern things.

Hmm. Don’t forget that this is war. Putin has destroyed entire cities before.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve had an idea.
This thread will get unlocked every time there have been 10 new posts on GA topics, and then 10 posts here will be allowed
Someone suggested we should require some EuroGA airport database reports as well

I don’t think this is appropriate. There’s enough authoritarian tendencies visible elsewhere, don’t need them in my aviation forum. It’s a serious topic and should be discussed freely and not pawned by other topics.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@emir

Spot on, and yes, [expletives removed], makes me feel horrible just to think about it. It sickens me that many perpetrators are walking freely and living nice a nice life of of what they stole back then.

There are already tendencies appearing of destabilizing the efforts of the last 30 years in the region. EU should act brutally to put these nutjobs in their place.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t think this is appropriate. There’s enough authoritarian tendencies visible elsewhere, don’t need them in my aviation forum. It’s a serious topic and should be discussed freely and not pawned by other topics.

The reasoning is here. EuroGA is primarily a GA forum.

There is very little detailed news coming out of Ukraine so there is little new stuff to discuss each day. So the same stuff gets posted over and over. And a discussion of EU behaviour / action / inaction is obviously hugely polarising.

So, please be glad you have a moderated site on which you can discuss political topics, and look after it. There aren’t many around…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Actually that is what was behind the removal from the SWIFT system. To stop Germany in particular paying the gas bills.

ROTFL. Quite the contrary. The banks that Germany uses to pay the gas bills are not sanctioned. For the reason to let Germany pay the gas bills.

Last Edited by lionel at 05 Mar 09:45
ELLX
Sign in to add your message