Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Coming to a cinema near you - Top Gun movie

Who’s L39 was he flying in that James Corden vid? There is a bizjet he appears to be flying in that too.

BerlinFlyer wrote:

Am i rhe only one who noticed the incorrect clearance chatter in the beginning? „You are clear to taxi“ (which runway?)… „dark star is ready for takeoff“ (Teneriffa anyone?)

I also thought so but apparently it is quite different in the US airforces on their own bases. The Air Force was massively involved in the making of this movie, so I would expect them to catch something like this. Apart, if a project plane like “Darkstar” is on any runway, nothing else flies.

Capitaine wrote:

it’s very unlikely a pilot would be able to fly again so quickly after ejecting.

Nowadays yes. I recall tales of Swiss Air Force pilots from the 1960ties where this was a tactic. If someone had to eject, they put them right back in an airplane and get them going again. “If falling from a horse” kind of thing.

Capitaine wrote:

Does anyone know what planes Tom Cruise owns?

He definitly owns the P51 shown in the movie and he uses to “scare” Showman James Corden.

He also owns a Honda Jet and a GIV, as well as a helicopter, not sure which make. But he referred to it i.e. in the making of “Eyes wide shut” that he went to see Stanley Kubrik using his helo, at the time a Jet Ranger. He also flies the L39 but as far as I know he does not own it.

One can say whatever one wants about Cruise but he is an aviation nut. Not unlike fellow scientologist John Travolta.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A good article from the BBC on the reasons behind the film’s success

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If someone had to eject, they put them right back in an airplane and get them going again. “If falling from a horse” kind of thing.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable. We had a very similar situation in 2005 or so at the flying club where I flew Yak-52. A girl (who would later become an airline pilot) almost landed gear up, yanking the handle at the last moment. The airframe was intact but the prop tips were damaged. The boss, a former air force regiment commande, immediately put her in another aircraft and made her fly a few circuits.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A good article from the BBC on the reasons behind the film’s success

I agree with that. It’s a good film, with real people doing real stuff. And well made. Almost everything major in cinemas today is junk – instantly forgettable fantasy / SFX / CGI / absolute crap

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, if all you gentlemen agree that it’s a good movie, I’ll give it a try after all. Blue Ray DVD ordered.

The non-CGI flying is not too bad, the rest is the usual Hollywood nonsense. I will say though that nowadays I go to a movie about once every decade or less, Hollywood is only surviving based on export sales, but I did go to this one based on the recommendation of an ex-Navy pilot friend. He also thought the flying was not too bad. It was good for a laugh.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Dec 22:17

Silvaire wrote:

I will say though that nowadays I go to a movie about once every decade or less

Ditto. Don’t know if it’s the usual “old fart syndrome” but I have not seen a movie in about 20 years projected, with the exception of some Imax stuff when the occasion arose, but those are not hollywood. Somehow I think they mainly focus on old themes to cash in on, something I am not interested in at all. I rather buy DVD’s, also much cheaper than going to the cinema, which charges about this much for 1 person…

Top Gun is a movie for the big screen for sure. Say what you want about Tom C, but he’s clearly very passionate about flying and making movies. I’m happy that this had financial success, so hopefully we’ll see more. I was entertained!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Top Gun is a movie for the big screen for sure.

Unfortunately the “big screen” is way too expensive for a family to go and see a movie these days…. I certainly can’t afford it, not since many years. Theater, Concerts and Cinemas are only for the upper echelons of the income ladder these days.

Sign in to add your message