Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The actual law supporting the UK GAR form policy and notice periods

Actually reading it again, it looks like it’s Ships other than pleasure craft, then all aircraft and all railway vehicles.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think the “pleasure craft” carve-out only applies to ships, not aircraft. Edit: posts crossed

Last Edited by Indochine at 06 Jul 16:41
EGTF, United Kingdom

but they do not really clarify if these flights must still send a GAR. But reading the whole doc, it seems they do.

Airline ops have direct agreements with the govt. They dont use actual GARs as we know them. The APT data is transferred electronically in bulk.

Corporate jet flights use the GAR. I know pilots who fly these; they find the GAR a significant hassle, due to variable passengers and short-notice flights.

Ok, and then they (police) would have all rights to ask for permission if they can‘t find one on file

This is the UK, not some police state

For a start they won’t know about your flight until too late unless they have the GAR. They seem to show zero interest in GARs for departures from the UK. If the GAR got lost they will meet you and ask questions and then you have to show them some evidence you sent it. I’ve had this a few times. They are happy to see a copy CCd to yourself.

What you have to be careful with is that when you do send the GAR (and really you do need to do that) that it contains no errors. Due to the shi*tty design of the new form I have done quite a few with errors. They always pick them up and email you, and you (presumably) can’t fly until it is corrected.

They may not be interested in visiting a house at the GPS location reported by your stolen phone, but they will turn up at the airport, two-up, at an estimated taxpayer cost of £2000, to talk to you about the GAR

Anyway it seems they have total delegated powers now, and the old “notice to a constable” thing is gone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, and then they (police) would have all rights to ask for permission if they can‘t find one on file

I am not even sure how things are managed “on file”? the Special Branch ones in Kent & Essex are really chilled whenever we called them regarding CTA flights from airports that are not designated for Police, there is no proof or whatever…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

the Special Branch ones in Kent & Essex are really chilled whenever we called them regarding CTA flights from airports that are not designated for Police, there is no proof or whatever…

Are you saying that you did a flight between different parts of the Common Travel Area (to which the Terrorism Act 2000 applies) and you just called them up on the phone? You didn’t use a designated airport, didn’t file a GAR and didn’t inform them in writing? That wouldn’t be good.

If you did file the GAR, what did you call them about and what were they chilled about?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I sent GAR 5h from a strip in Essex to Channel Islands which ticks UKBF notification (2h) but not SB notification (12h), after calling them by phone they confirmed it’s fine if NCU are already on the loop…they were really relaxed

The GAR does qualify for the SB 12 hours notification, but the airport needs to have a cert of agreement. Since Brexit, virtually every airport has a cert of agreement.

The NCU does distribute the GAR to the relevant police force (at least they did when I last asked them).

So there is need to ring the police. The GAR is sufficient.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Indeed, if you are within the 12h for SB, the GAR to NCU is more than enough

If you are outside 12h for SB, maybe worth calling them if 2h GAR to NCU is OK? maybe but it depends on who you are talking to? the guys in Kent & Essex seems ok with a call during the day, not sure about others YMMV

PS: previously, you could bypass by going via Cherbourg using 4h GAR but now it’s 24h/48h on French side, since then Brexit and likes of Luc & Edith are no longer around !

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Jul 20:11

One should not confuse the thread topic with what actually happens, or has been reported as working on the day at Airport X.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When I landed back at White Waltham on Sunday evening I was having a beer with my passengers when the lady from operations (who knows me) dropped a slip of paper on my table with the aircraft reg on it, a phone number, and the words Border Force.

I called them. They’d had no GAR from us, and politely asked if I could forward it. I did so. The email bounced. I called him back and let him know. He didn’t care much, and they seem very relaxed.

It’s not a difficult system – fill in the forms and send them – and it allows you to enter or leave the country anywhere. ‘Enforcement’ these days seems gentle and polite.

I can see how the required notice with pax details is a pain for private jet drivers transporting high net worth individuals and their ‘friends’ at short notice. But sorting that stuff is part of their job, is it not? The law suggests it is anyway, putting the onus on the commander of the aircraft.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message