Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Casually "borrowing" aircraft through connections

I seem to be perpetually in-between aircraft, sometimes through my own making (moving cities) or through fleet changes of the club I am a member of. My latest rental was a DA20. Though not a great travel machine, it was wonderfully cheap and allowed me to do a lot of flying without having to worry about damaging my wallet too much. Unfortunately, they’ve sold it to finance the purchase of a more powerful tow aircraft for the glider operations. The replacement for the DA20 is a DR400 which is almost double the price, but with even less endurance and instrumentation than the DA20; still not ideal for the sort of flying I want to do. Cost is a huge issue for me and I’m desperate not to let my SEP flying dream die.

I know it’s possible, with the right connections, to fly aircraft on the behalf of owners who rarely fly themselves, just for the cost of fuel. The problem is finding the right connections in the first place. I’m fairly well placed to make these connections – I work as a mechanic at a busy GA airport teeming with light SEP’s.

I’ve considered writing a “wanted” poster to put on the hangar doors, basically outlining what I’m looking for (2-4 seats with a minimum cruise of 100kts and 4 hour or so endurance. Pretty much middle of the road average SEP), my experience (150 hours total, 100 PIC. Mechanic, albeit no experience on SEP’s) and what I’m offering in return (Keep the aircraft moving, clean, polished and perform light pilot-owner servicing/maintenance).

Is this a good idea? Is it likely to raise some eyebrows or will I be breaking some sort of airfield etiquette?

Last Edited by NinerEchoPapa at 10 Jul 11:47
EDLN/EDLF, Germany

I’d say it’s a cultural question – in some cultures it’s perfectly fine, in some not. In any event, be brief, just write something like “Local mechanic looking for private SEP rental”. All the details can be discussed later.
By the way, once you become certifying staff on these SEPs, you can offer to do post-maintenance check flights, and many owners will even be happy to pay for the fuel.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A bit surprised to hear a DR400 is twice the price with less endurance than a DA20.

If you are flying with a real aeroclub, by members for members, then my suggestion is to get more involved so the kind of decision you say was just made doesn’t get made… what I considered to be a poor aircraft purchase decision, is what pushed me to get involved and onto the board of my aeroclub.

Regards, SD..

Ultranomad wrote:

By the way, once you become certifying staff on these SEPs, you can offer to do post-maintenance check flights, and many owners will even be happy to pay for the fuel.

That’s unfortunately unlikely to happen as I work exclusively on large turbine singles and light jets, but I am keen to gain experience on piston aircraft too.

skydriller wrote:

A bit surprised to hear a DR400 is twice the price with less endurance than a DA20.

The DR400 is the current tow plane, so it’s got a smaller tank (or so I’m told) than usual. It also still drinks avgas, compared to the DA20 which was Mogas.

skydriller wrote:

If you are flying with a real aeroclub, by members for members, then my suggestion is to get more involved so the kind of decision you say was just made doesn’t get made

This decision was put to a vote, which I took part in. I was unfortunately outvoted.

The plan is to convert the DR400 to Mogas and fit it with two Garmin G5’s, the former of which should reduce the price to a level I would be okay paying. But until that happens I’d love to find something I can fly for the rest of the summer.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

I would be very surprised if an owner or aeroclub would not be happy to have an airplane mechanic involved with their aircraft, even if your current specialty is bigger gear. Good luck.

I tend to agree with both the posts above from@Skydriller.
I know little of the German scene but here many young people, short of money help out with cleaning the aircraft and pulling them in and out of the hangars in return for some free flying time when a situation makes it possible. This would be even more welcome with pilots with your background. The answer is to be around whenever you can, talk to and get to know everyone. And when you get to know them, broach your situation with them. It’s surprising how far a smile a regular chat and a helping hand can get you. I often get offers to use a plane or to transport one from A to B or whatever and its not something I need to go in search of. They seem to think I am doing them a favour🙂

France
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My experience is as @gallois says. It is mainly about being “available” at others convenience. I managed to fly more, and at much less cost to me, during the Covid restrictions, purely because I could not work and was available. Not something that happens when I’m busy with work and not even in the country…

Regards, SD..

Hello everyone, first post here (after reading the forum for quite a while I have to say.)
My name is Etienne, I fly a DR253 out of Neustadt-an-der-Aisch in Germany.

Coming back to the question -
“Is it possible” ? Yes definitely. In the past I had access to a friend’s Cessna, and I am potentially open to lending my Robin to close friends (People I know and I know how they fly!)

“At the cost of fuel” is probably wrong, though. If I were to lend my aircraft to someone I would need to add that person to the insurance and consequently ask her/him to cover the additional cost. I would also ask a participation to at least maintenance costs, probably other costs as well (e.g. limited lifetime elements). All things considered, we would soon be pretty close, if not above, the price of an aeroclub aircraft which flies much more and is often operated at (or near) cost. In your specific case OP, costs could indeed be offset by working as a mechanic on the machine. Individual arrangements need to be found here.

My recommendation to you OP would be to 1) look for other flying clubs in your area, 2) hang around at the airfield, make friends, participate in activities, etc. You might be able to find someone to make such arrangements. Maybe you can have the opportunity to tow gliders or fly skydivers.

As you are a mechanic, you can probably also find a low-cost aircraft (Jodel D112, Nicollier Menestrel, or similar – look for F-Pxxx / experimentals in France) which you can maintain yourself. This might be the best bang for the buck?

Blue skies,
ETN

Last Edited by etn at 12 Jul 05:30
etn
EDQN, Germany

I agree with Etienne – it is difficult to beat club prices by borrowing a friend’s plane.
Our club in EFHV takes 115 for C150 and 160-170 C172 if you have paid 120/year extra. If not, you pay 20 more for rental.

Just the fuel cost is about impossible. Like E mentioned, at least the insurance would take some more money. And it would feel a little unfair to use the plane without taking any part to other costs. The only exception I can see, would be for a plane which is used very little. There flying once a week would actually make it stay in better condition than collecting corrosion everywhere – and would be worth of letting you fly with gas cost.

If I estimate letting someone else use my ralley, the autogas would take some 50 an hour, adding 100-200/year to the insurance cost, perhaps 20-30 to cover part of the maintenance and other fixed costs (which make over 2000/year) the sum would not be far from the above club prices. That gas +30 would probably be fine as long as hours do not add much maintenance. But if it adds one more 100-hour maintenance/year, that might cost close to 1000 e more and ruin positive effects. But like some already mentioned, being good friends with someone can turn a lot of things around..

EFFO EFHV, Finland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message