Welcome to our forums

Advantages of Schengen - Croatia to join next year

LDVP (Vrsar) is OK too.

It’s LDPV.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Right LDPV 😀

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Still final voting on joining will be held on December 8/9, so we’ll see if and when Croatian joining will come to real life.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Still final voting on joining will be held on December 8/9, so we’ll see if and when Croatian joining will come to real life.

Is it a proper vote or do countries have a veto? The new Swedish government is against the extension of the Schengen area.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Why are they against?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it a proper vote or do countries have a veto?

It has to be consensus.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A likely outcome Dec 8 is that Croatia will get the green light, while Bulgaria and Romania will get vetoed by Sweden and Austria. From what I read the worries are things like organized crime, trafficking, migration, external border control and so on. IMHO It’s kind of blown out of proportion, much of it based on decades old information and a bad reputation. The Romanians I know joke that Romania is one of the safest countries in Europe because the criminals allready left the country a long time ago.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

Why are they against?

THY wrote:

IMHO It’s kind of blown out of proportion, much of it based on decades old information and a bad reputation.

We recently got a rather extreme conservative-nationalist government. The “Sweden Democrats” party is now calling the tune (even though they only got 21% of the votes) and they hate foreigners.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Nov 06:58

Why are they against?

Well, the following might have something to do with it : in 2019 I flew around Sweden, and there were a significant number of establishment’s with signs on the door saying “we speak Swedish here”. If you don’t understand any Swedish, you wouldn’t have noticed of course…

skydriller wrote:

Well, the following might have something to do with it : in 2019 I flew around Sweden, and there were a significant number of establishment’s with signs on the door saying “we speak Swedish here”.

Interesting. I’ve never seen anything of that kind. Possibly proprietors who didn’t “look swedish” wanted to reassure people who were afraid that they wouldn’t speak Swedish.

Sign in to add your message