Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How constant is the IFR pilot population?

I can't move threads here but I think we will have a slightly better continuity adding the above here, which I have done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seems the UK can continue to issue the IMCr until 2019, which is good news and will hopefully gives PPL's something to aim for and keep them interested in aviation. I know the EIR was on the cards anyhow, and that is applicable to the wider European population, but good to see a safety 'win' over EASA also.

Link

But, back on the subject, I still wonder why the newcomers to the private "serious flying, not necessarily with an IR" community seem to have practically dried up in the past 10-20 years...

If "serious flying" is going places flying, I'd guess in Europe that would due to the development of much cheaper regional air travel by commercial air carriers in that time frame, plus uncertainty of investment produced by ever changing regulation.

Many US IFR rated owner pilots fly mostly VFR, considering the IFR rating a past educational experience that may help them get out of trouble in the future. I think one reason for that is the aircraft: it's harder and more expensive for an owner to keep his aircraft ready for IFR operation, and many would rather spend the money elsewhere. Another reason is that US airspace complexity for VFR cross country flights is completely manageable, and in a tight situation a pop-up IFR clearance for a rated pilot would likely be no issue.

I guess you mean pilots who only hold a private pilot certificate. The percentages for such pilots who also have an instrument rating is 27.7%. Pilots who hold a commercial certificate (most who are not full time employed in aviation and I consider more of an advanced private pilot), the percentage is 90.5%. An ATP is by definition instrument rated and therefore 100%.

[my bold]

That really illustrates the way Europe has screwed the pilot population over the decades.

In the USA, you do your PPL ("private certificate"), at your local school.

A bit later, you pop back to your old school and you do the instrument rating. No FTO hassle, no hotel residence, no sitting exams at your national CAA, none of that "fundraising" crap. You now have much improved your flying skills.

A bit later, you pop back to your old school and do the CPL ("commercial certificate"). No FTO hassle, no hotel residence, no sitting exams at your national CAA, none of that "fundraising" crap. You now have obtained good additional training on aircraft handling.

Actually quite a lot of US pilots who are purely private have done the ATP too, but I suspect a lot fewer in recent years.

But, back on the subject, I still wonder why the newcomers to the private "serious flying, not necessarily with an IR" community seem to have practically dried up in the past 10-20 years...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also know many ATPs right now who are either not working or doing bits and pieces. FAA and EASA ATPs.

Like most of the students we trained during the last three years :-(

EDDS - Stuttgart

I also know many ATPs right now who are either not working or doing bits and pieces. FAA and EASA ATPs.

EGTK Oxford

The majority of ATP pilots are employed in aviation full time.

Not any more in this part of the world. Half and half I would say. Many holiday carriers offer season contracts only like 8 months on, 4 months off. And in GA, I would estimate that more than 50% of ATPL pilots are freelancing. Maybe more. Quite a few have part time contracts (like myself).

EDDS - Stuttgart

What is the true number for the US? The 51% of 610,000 is calculated over the total pilot population so it includes CPL and ATPL, where IR coverage in the US is near 100%...

Not quite sure what you mean by true number. I guess you mean pilots who only hold a private pilot certificate. The percentages for such pilots who also have an instrument rating is 27.7%. Pilots who hold a commercial certificate (most who are not full time employed in aviation and I consider more of an advanced private pilot), the percentage is 90.5%. An ATP is by definition instrument rated and therefore 100%. The majority of ATP pilots are employed in aviation full time.

KUZA, United States

I suspect that 10% is above the European average.

What is the true number for the US? The 51% of 610,000 is calculated over the total pilot population so it includes CPL and ATPL, where IR coverage in the US is near 100%...

Biggin Hill

According to the FAA, in the US in 2012, out of 610,578 pilot certificates held, 311,952 were instrument rated. That is 51% are instrument rated.

I just got an answer from our Swedish CAA, in Sweden 350 people have an IR rating connected to their PPL certificate, out of a total of 3143 PPL pilots, as of September 2013. So it's not very common.

Some statistics (in Swedish):

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message