Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft for personal commuting?

Hi colleagues, can anyone propose an interesting solution for the following mission profile?

• commuting, mostly alone, so may be a single-seater, but some luggage space will then be needed
  • lowest cost per ground mile flown
  • at least 80 kts cruising speed
  • low total cost of ownership
  • runs on car fuel
  • the same role in the air as a 125 cm³ motorcycle on the road
  • practical, need not be pretty
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Any full time/bad weather requirement?

LFMD, France

Thanks for mentioning that. Let’s for the time being restrict it to VFR.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A cheap UL like CH601 Zenith (An anagram for Heintz, the Concorde/Robin guy).

always learning
LO__, Austria

A nice working MCR4 → 4 place 120knts/400kg load/9hours/mogas will do more than that. If you need speed, MCR01 can bring you a bit faster for the same consumption (20l/hour).

LFMD, France

My old PA18-95 would tick the list and you could operate out of 150 yards, and meanwhile it is appreciating. Needs hangarage.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What kind of airports lay at each end of the commute? A motorcycling friend in France commutes very economically in his Long Eze, but he’s a business jet pilot and that defines the kind of places where he needs to land and switch planes. A Grumman/AA two seater would have a similar constraint (perhaps a bit less so) but I’ve known others who’ve used them as commuters.

Otherwise, more aligned with your 125 cc motorcycle analogy and for shorter fields, a Jodel D112 with A-65 engine? I’m assuming it has to be inexpensive to buy as well as “interesting”

A uninteresting but very practical answer would be a C-150 ‘Commuter’ in very average condition.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Nov 17:57

A nice working MCR4 → 4 place 120knts/400kg

Apparently aircraft craftsmanship of the highest level, but also seems to be an airplane that „bites“ when looking at the accident rate.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Piper Cub?

Maybe a bit slow at 60 kts for the J3 model. But they are cheap, mine runs on mogas, and burns just 4gph.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

C150 / 152. Not sexy, but cheap and reliable. Also easy to get in and out, no need to clamber on a wing. Seeing where you are based, the fact that you can stay dry under the wing probably also helps on occasion.

38 Posts
Sign in to add your message