Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Should we have non-GA topics?

I agree with everyone else – keep the non-GA content as long as it doesn’t get crazy.

Back when Covid was all the rage, the loooong thread on here about it was very informative. This group has the advantage of having people who know what they’re talking about and some serious non-aviation expertise.

LFMD, France

FWIW, for me, no more non-GA related topics please.

A few days ago, I logged on and it looked like this:

A big turn-off for this forum.

And could be solved so easily: allow users to hide threads permanently, as discussed here many times.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Dec 18:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

A big turn-off for this forum.

Talk for yourself !! please

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

boscomantico wrote:

allow users to hide threads permanently, as discussed here many times.

That feature I’d love to have.

EGTR

Imagine a room full of pilots droning on about nothing but aviation. How long would you stay there?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I share @boscomantico opinion, there does appear to be a crowding out of aviation discussion, perhaps this is a consequence of the pandemic?

On some US forums you can filter to unread and also ignore threads. Not sure how easy it might be to introduce this?

Still a great forum but I read forums (fora?) for aviation.

The dutch author Rutger Bergman in his excellent, and positive book, Human Kind, pointed out the physical and neurological detrimental effects of 24 hour news feeds and talking heads provoking debate on these feeds.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Aviation, as with all things in life, does not exist on its own but is part of the fabric of our society.

Another way to call that fabric is “politics”. It is impossible to meaningfully discuss Aviation without sooner or later looking at the politics that influence it. Some degree of political discussion will thus always have to be allowed unless you want to restrict threads to purely technical aspects of flying.

I fully agree with @Mooney_Driver ’s view that this is a community where you meet like-minded people and can discuss topics openly without fear of name-calling or other personal attacks. I value that very highly. We might not all share the same political views but this is the only forum where I have reliably seen people “agree to disagree” instead of starting flame wars.

I’d very much like to keep this possibility open and also continue to discuss topics of overarching importance like e.g. we do in the Ukraine war or did in the Covid threads.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I tend to agree with MD and AA. It’s very civilised here and I like that. If you make it strictly aviation only, it might get a little nerdy.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

If you make it strictly aviation only, it might get a little nerdy.

Jacko wrote:

Imagine a room full of pilots droning on about nothing but aviation. How long would you stay there?

Good points. In the real world we talk about all kinds of stuff with our fellow pilots.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I understand your problem, but aviation crosses borders by its nature, and so many problems and issues in aviation are caused by politics, I think you would struggle to talk about something openly, and if a topic does get de-railed, the thread can be moved rather than deleted…

Edit : And I think most of us are grown up enough to discuss in an open way and ask questions of others and ourselves – Ive just added an edit to a post elsewhere as having read this thread I wonder if I didnt misunderstand a posters comment, as I strongly believe the sacrifices made in the past, whether right or wrong, should not be forgotten today.

Last Edited by skydriller at 10 Dec 09:49
Sign in to add your message