Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney makes a comeback

Mooney has to return to their roots of efficiency and affordability if they wish to succeed. Primarily, they have to offer a economically priced entry level traveller, e.g. a real Mooney 201 successor with e.g. the IO390 engine which delivers 210 hp and is Mogas capable.

Mooney Driver, for your possible interest… A friend and I were following our usual wandering pattern back to base today, poking around looking at ramp rats, and came across an example of Mooney’s ‘roots’: A wood winged, wood tailed, flat-tired Mooney that somebody is keeping regardless. That made me curious and a Google search on the registration (with my phone) revealed that it is serial number 1003, built in 1955. Possibly the third built? To my eyes, looking past the emerging entropy of that example, the original was a nice plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Dec 04:24

Correct. “Normally” no speed control beyond 4NM (notice the “should” word – if it was “shall” then it would be 100%).

Doc4444
4.6.3.7 Speed control should not be applied to aircraft after passing a point 7 km (4 NM) from the threshold on final approach.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Mooney are hiring and gearing up for production, first new Mooneys are expected to leave the factory in the 3rd quarter of 2014.

I keep hearing through the grapevine that in addition to the relaunch of the existing Ovation and Acclaim Models, Mooney is working on a new line of products to follow up on today’s demands. I am curious to hear what they are actually doing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am not.

This “restart” thing is ridiculous.

These aircraft were fine in their time. Time moves on. ’Bout 50 years now.

Wanna buy that 2008 (err, 2013) Acclaim for 800.000$?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Agreed – prices demanded today for all “new” light airplanes are, in my opinion, ridiculous.

However, it must be because of my old age, that I do like the solid, metal construction of the Mooney that, after being fitted with all modern “goodies” available today, could take me for a looooooong trip so many of the “new breed” designs would be not capable of….

Last Edited by ANTEK at 11 Jan 08:50
YSCB

If Mooney can restart, Socata would have an easy time doing the same.

I am not sure…

I am sure Mooney can shift say 10-20 planes a year – especially early on to satisfy pent up demand.

Still, that makes it a $10M-20M (retail value) business, with a factory transfer price say 50% below the retail price, so if you cut out the dealers (something which I absolutely cannot believe the GA business did not do decades ago, because frankly the dealers contribute virtually no value) then it’s pretty good.

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Jan 09:30
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If Mooney can restart, Socata would have an easy time doing the same.

I believe that almost….almost happened about 4-5 years ago.

YSCB

The age of the design (airframe, wing) itself matters little. The only material difference between “old” designs and “new” designs are

- instruments and avionics - interior furnishing - parachute - 2 doors

Progress on the actual aerodynamics has been virtually zero, the engines are the same, and the fact that Cirrus is composite as opposed to riveted metal makes no material difference to the pilot. Actually, it does, both the SR22 and the Columbia 400 are heavy beasts for their size – same as a 6-seater Saratoga!

Mooney uses G1000, they can fix the furnishing within limits (small cabin cross-section), but without the last two, I dare say they will struggle… Cessna can’t compete with Cirrus primarily (IMO) because of the lack of parachute.

Biggin Hill

Ergonomics beats everything. Can’t fix that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ever driven a Lamborghini?

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message