Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portugal imposes carbon tax on GA

Is that example wrong calculated or do I understand the formula wrong: if mil means 1000 km then 0,2 would be for 200 km, not 20km.
So 500km for 1 person should be 2 × 10 × 1 x (0,5 + 1) = 30.
But capacidad I understand to be the available seats, not pax. So if you fly solo with 10 empty seats, you pay for 11? “con o sin pasajeros”

EFFO EFHV, Finland

hanski wrote:

Is that example wrong calculated or do I understand the formula wrong: if mil means 1000 km then 0,2 would be for 200 km, not 20km.

Yes! That’s more reasonable.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

For aircraft less than 19 seats, calculated according to actual POB. And not for training.
EDIT: This particular pamphlet actually says nothing about training, just that any commercial and non-commercial ops are included. Also says that operator is responsible to get in touch with ANAC to arrange for payment and that airfields need to report all movements to ANAC.

Last Edited by aart at 27 Jul 06:13
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Let’s see what happens in the end. I believe it will be difficult, at least for small GA, to control and to manage the collection of all fees, specially for non based aircrafts. So in the end it will (hopefully) die by its own stupidity. I fly with certain frequency to Portugal, so will find out quickly whether this works in real world or its a law made just to be able to check ‘done’ some point of some political agenda…

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Fresh news from today, a clarification on the application of carbon tax on GA:

“In view of the above, it is important to state and clarify that the carbon taxes described above are based on the intention of taxing passenger air transport, not applying to flights that do not have that nature or purpose, that is, flights should not that do not constitute «passenger air transport» are subject to the incidence of the carbon tax, as this is not the teleology inherent in the purpose of the rules that created the carbon tax.

In this sense, it is concluded that test flights, examination flights, training flights, sports competition flights, ultralight flights are not covered by this fee – which can only be legally carried out for sports and recreational activities , flights to maintain crew proficiency, positioning flights or ferry flights for maintenance."

Thank you APAU for the effort to change the Ministry of Infrastructure position

https://www.apau.pt/

LPSR, Portugal

lmsl1967 wrote:

In this sense, it is concluded that test flights, examination flights, training flights, sports competition flights, ultralight flights are not covered by this fee – which can only be legally carried out for sports and recreational activities, flights to maintain crew proficiency, positioning flights or ferry flights for maintenance."

Thanks your for the update – Could you clarify the above – are recreational GA flights exempt from the fee?

EGSU, United Kingdom

That is my understanding. We need to look into the spirit of the law. The purpose of the law is to tax the passenger air transport, we carry occupants not passengers. A law or a decree cannot cover all situations, reason why the spirit of the law needs to be observed, and I intend to follow that spirit to the letter and not to pay a single cent.

I was hopping that they would find a limit from which the tax would be applicable, the 5,700 Kg, it was not the case. Obvioulsy the specific mention of the UL opens the door for taxation to other than that, my interpretation follows the spirit of the Law. When we fly, we are maintaining proficiency.

The following is the core of the rectifying text: “(…) not applying to flights that do not have that nature or purpose, that is, flights should not that do not constitute «passenger air transport» are subject to the incidence of the carbon tax, as this is not the teleology inherent in the purpose of the rules that created the carbon tax.”, and it is enought for me.

LPSR, Portugal

@lmsl1967 Obrigado! Thanks.

I’m shocked that such a relevant piece of legislation didn’t get proper clarification from the Portuguese CAA (ANAC).

My interpretation is that we would have to pay €2 per passenger. I wasn’t too bothered with that. The formula that multiplies that per mile travelled was just an industry killer.

EGSU, United Kingdom

lmsl1967 wrote:

lmsl196728-Jul-23 11:0412
Fresh news from today, a clarification on the application of carbon tax on GA:

“In view of the above, it is important to state and clarify that the carbon taxes described above are based on the intention of taxing passenger air transport, not applying to flights that do not have that nature or purpose, that is, flights should not that do not constitute «passenger air transport» are subject to the incidence of the carbon tax, as this is not the teleology inherent in the purpose of the rules that created the carbon tax.

In this sense, it is concluded that test flights, examination flights, training flights, sports competition flights, ultralight flights are not covered by this fee – which can only be legally carried out for sports and recreational activities , flights to maintain crew proficiency, positioning flights or ferry flights for maintenance."

Thank you APAU for the effort to change the Ministry of Infrastructure position

https://www.apau.pt/

Many thanks for keeping us updated! Great news! UFN I shall maintain the same interpretation as you! See you soon. C.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

-See you soon. C.

Hopefully I will leave Sudan next thursday, for a few weeks of vacations. Meanwhile I will be flying to CR for some fix and BIR exams.

I Will be at LPSR next saturday morning for a shot free of tax flight. .

See you:

LPSR, Portugal
Sign in to add your message