Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portugal imposes carbon tax on GA

And no one ever talks about this tax when you land and pay your landing fees?

Switzerland

That is a correct statement.
Some places in Portugal there are no landing fees. Quite a few airports, such as Coimbra and Santareem. Others have small landing fees, such as Braga and Evora.
Now, I didn’t say that one day this all may change or I (and others) will get a surprise.
I believe the intention of the law was not aimed at light private piston airplanes, unless commercial. Again, assumptions.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

According to the legal diploma, we should monthly send to CAA our flight logs. No one is for now coming after us. There were meetings between Portuguese associations and the Infrastructure minister and he clearly assumed the mistake of the diploma and they later clarified that does not cover hour building and other non profit flights. They didn’t wanted to change the law (I think it would raise protest from environmental parties and a extreme leftist party) so they made that cosmetic change.

I don’t think that even CAA is willing to come after small GA.

For now, with exception to Cascais that is becoming a hub for bizjets, either you don’t pay: Coimbra, Santarem, Castelo Branco, Braganca, Mirandela, or you pay less than 30 euros, Portimao, Braga, Evora, Viseu, Vila Real, Vilar da Luz (Porto) Ponte Sor.

We are applying the principle, when you don’t want answers, don’t make any questions, and everybody is happy with that.

BR

Luis

LPSR, Portugal

Uhh, looks like great news.
This is the response I just received from AOPA Portugal:

Dear Timo,

Thank you for your email and I’m happy to confirm that the CO2 tax legislation was revoked some months ago, and is not in application at the current moment, following a strong opposition movement from the general aviation sector, in which AOPA PORTUGAL was also part of.
Happy flights!

AOPA PORTUGAL

Switzerland

rundflieger wrote:

rundflieger08-Jan-24 06:5940
Uhh, looks like great news.
This is the response I just received from AOPA Portugal:

Dear Timo,

Thank you for your email and I’m happy to confirm that the CO2 tax legislation was revoked some months ago, and is not in application at the current moment, following a strong opposition movement from the general aviation sector, in which AOPA PORTUGAL was also part of.
Happy flights!

AOPA PORTUGAL

Good job on sourcing some official information, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your flights – it´s beautiful scenery and nice people down in Portugal and reasonably simply to fly around. Any flying in controlled airspace requires a filed flight plan and you need to close your flight plan on the ground after landing. Have fun.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Ok, very good news indeed
Thanks for asking/sharing @rundflieger

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ok, just learned that AOPA Portugal is still alive, which is something that we in Portugal were not aware. All I can say is that the major role was played by APAU (Portuguese Association of Ultralight), and a few ‘heavy weight’ renomed aviators in Portugal that personally met with the minister.

The decree was not revoked, the interpretation changed.

What matters is that we are not being ‘persecuted’ by ANAC by not reporting as mandatory by the decree.

Still, we are not out of the danger zone, new elections might bring the environmental agenda back into the play, and the interpretation might change if the new minister perspective also change. Recently, some bizjets came under ‘attack’ in Cascais by radical environmentalists (connected with extreme leftist party – which might come into political alliance with the current ruling party).

LPSR, Portugal
77 Posts
Sign in to add your message