Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPR: If you have rats in your house, do you block up the hole from the sewer, or do you write an app for them?

I don’t think for 1 minute that anyone on here who is ‘against’ PPR has even the slightest issue with small grass or private strips having PPR.
Anywhere else can be managed on the radio.
It’s how it was done for years, it’s how it’s done for the larger part of the world.
If there’s no radio, maybe a phone call, maybe not.
There’s dozens of small fields in the UK with Air/ground radio during operattional hours and many with Tarmac that now require PPR. It’s BS.
If I call on the radio and something has happened, then I get turned away. No big deal.
If I’m that concerned, then perhaps I should call. That’s not PPR, it’s just common sense.
There’s no guarantee anyway, as just after I get PPR and get airborne, any incident could close a runway.

Airfields I know ‘like the back of my hand’ with radio and Tarmac have gone PPR.
What do I get from another level of fuss? I’m legally required to check the AIP and notams, and I already know all the procedures.
So now when I fly by, I’ll never decide to just drop-in. I just keep going as I’ve not PPR. 1 airfield I am not going to mention has lost out on a landing fee roughly 10 times this year.
Not a lot of money from just me, but I know definitively of 1 other aircraft doing exactly the same. Are there others?

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Case 3: I have a 500m field next to my house. I have published it in various places; maybe held fly-ins there. Somebody lands there, and trashes the plane. Can he sue? That is what is not clear.

Your case 3 is probably the sort of field that I visit most often that requires PPR.
The issue is that it doesn’t have to be clear if you can sue or not. Anybody can sue anybody for anything. The fact that it might be thrown out isn’t relevant until later. Before that the insurance companies talk and often decide to pay out as it’s cheaper than fighting it.

In my work, I have seen a number of settlements (and court decisions) to give compensation where I thought the case was totally without merit. Hence, why if I was in that situation, I’d want to do what I could to protect myself. If that means pushing responsibility onto the pilot to make contact with me to check conditions, rather than leaving the responsibility with me to publish updates on the conditions, then so be it.

Airborne_Again wrote:

You don’t need to be “connected” to the NOTAM system.

I’ve seen many small UK airport complaining that they can’t issue NOTAMs as the system is too regimented. In any case, if I owned my own strip, I wouldn’t want the responsibility to go to the runway and check it in the morning and then make contact with AIS to issue a NOTAM. It’s very different if you are big enough to have full time staff who’s job it is to check the runway first thing in the morning.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If I fly to Shoreham (timings carefully chosen to avoid Peter )
There’s often a NOTAM warning of Paragliding on a hill of the south downs. Or model aircraft flying up to 800ft in Medway.
How challenging can the notam system be?

Anyway I think we’re all arguing our onw corner of this subject.
All the time PPR is widely accepted without push-back, I think it will get worse and worse.
So back to my usual phrase…….glad I’m closer to the end of my flying than the beginning.

United Kingdom

In the UK, in general, unlicensed airfields cannot issue notams. Of course this is country dependent; different countries have different attitudes to collecting taxpayer money In the UK, “user pays” is the default principle, and nobody wants to pay for anything

Today’s technology facilitates other approaches and one could easily develop an entire parallel “pilot notification system” which is a simple website. Or an app, if one is a masochist. Every farm strip would have access to the back end of it. But, like this proposed app (I keep coming back to the topic, don’t I?) the business model would kill it:

• notam capable airports would not join
  • within the bulk of Europe, only airports in the dev’s country might join (the standard European solidarity issue – take a look who is in the horrible Myhandling scheme)
  • “older” pilots do not use the internet (admittedly they don’t read notams either)
  • practically impossible to market to get sufficient penetration

Such a shame Dave Philips is not with us anymore. He would have had so much to say…

I’m closer to the end of my flying than the beginning

That is true for many of us, myself included. The solution is to copy Spain and Italy and buy a 500kt UL for €500k and fly it from a farm strip, non-txp, no license, no medical Thankfully many great destinations remain.

Everyone is welcome to Shoreham. There is a pleasantly decrepit old town with a nice Italian restaurant (Tosca)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The NOTAMS at LFFK are issued by the airfield representative at the Town Hall.
Although that might change soon as we now have an association consisting of a representative of all the clubs and businesses on the field.
The town hall have just bought us new hangar doors and a great new grass cutting machine.
And as always in France, any excuse for a bit of conviviality, we shall be having a little breakfast and inauguration in the next couple of weeks.

France

GA_Pete wrote:

I don’t think for 1 minute that anyone on here who is ‘against’ PPR has even the slightest issue with small grass or private strips having PPR.

I do! Maybe not for private strips, but for “small grass”, however you define it. (Is 630 m “small”?) I don’t see what the runway length has to do with it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dublinpilot wrote:

I’ve seen many small UK airport complaining that they can’t issue NOTAMs as the system is too regimented. In any case, if I owned my own strip, I wouldn’t want the responsibility to go to the runway and check it in the morning and then make contact with AIS to issue a NOTAM. It’s very different if you are big enough to have full time staff who’s job it is to check the runway first thing in the morning.

Why would you need to do that? Lots of grass airfields operated by clubs neither have PPR nor someone to check the runway every morning. It’s not like being able to issue NOTAMs carries such an obligation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

In the UK, in general, unlicensed airfields cannot issue notams.

Peter, what is they say that the takeoff and landing at X.Y is unavailable due to waterlogged runway? :)
You can’t issue a NOTAM against a non-existent ICAO code, but you could issue it against X.Y coordinates.

EGTR

UK licensed airfields can get an AFPEX account and issue notams via that. In fact AFAIK any airfield can get the AFPEX account (the special one which doesn’t cut you off after a few mins) but they can’t issue notams.

Anyway, this is all UK specific and of no use to anybody, even in the UK. Nobody with an AFPEX account is going to spend time issuing notams for other airfields.

Notams for x,y location will probably not show under “airfield” notams…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why would you need to do that? Lots of grass airfields operated by clubs neither have PPR nor someone to check the runway every morning.

Perhaps you don’t have a legal system which tolerates claims for damages when the claimant should have exercised more responsibility? Or perhaps your insurers fight such claim more than they do here (or in the UK)?

To put it differently, I don’t think these airfields are employing people to answer the phone and deliver PPR just for the fun of it. It costs money to employ people, and there is usually something better for them to do. If the vast majority of airfields in the UK and Ireland do it, there must be a reason.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message