Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPR: If you have rats in your house, do you block up the hole from the sewer, or do you write an app for them?

Emir wrote:

You’re obviously missing the point. I doubt much people gives a sh.t if someone doesn’t allow them to land on his/her grass strip with PPR. Most people are concerned about dozens of certified (public) airports suddenly started to generate PPR making GA flying there impractical/impossible due to time-related constraints in PPR like 72 hours in advance. PPR is “don’t land here if I haven’t approved it” and doesn’t have much/anything with conditions of the runway or legal responsibility of the owner for the operations.

We are obviously talking apples and oranges here. It doesn’t matter if it is a grass strip or a big international airport. Unless it is public and within opening hours, the permission from the land owner is valid, and it’s the only thing you need. For instance, ENVA (an international airport open 24/7) is owned by Avinor. However, some of the land, is owned by the Air Force with fences in between. This include a smaller part of crossing runway that hasn’t been used for ages. But, it’s still a flat, pawed surface about 800 m in length that isn’t used for anything else either. Perfectly usable for a SEP. The only thing needed to land there is permission from the Air Force. Some people working at the air force has done that. The tower simply say “no conflicting traffic” (or something like that).

Another well known GA airport is Kjeller (ENKJ). It has PPR. Then we have all the airsport/GA airports like Starmoen, Oppdal, Notodden and a few others, most of which have PPR (set on “auto” ) Notodden is a towered and full IFR airport. It actually is public also, but it’s not owned by Avinor. MyPPR is needed outside opening hours. Some use MyPPR as payment provider also. ENFG for instance, 2 km of pawed runway. 737s used to land there, but is today GA only. Others are hard to find information on without some googling. They usually just say “Welcome”. The main problem is usually to find information about the airports, which MyPPR is a solution to.

The only ones with actual PPR, as in you need an explicit permission to use, are the military airports, and they do NOT use MyPPR. On the other hand, they are all well described in AIP. Kjeller is actually a military airport, so it’s kind of an exception to the exception Then there are all the Avinor airports, which also can be used outside opening hours, but then only with MyPPR and this “PFLY”.

IME MyPPR simplifies stuff, especially regarding information. Of course a no brain, no headache situation is a simpler approach, but that’s not going to happen.

I wonder if what you are describing is more related to IFR scheduled traffic, slots and that kind of things?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

The point is that most PPR airports are useable essentially all the time.

Yes. The whole point of having an airport is to use it for airplanes. Obviously they are usable most of the time, or they would simply be left to vegetation to take over. The purpose of NOTAM is (amongst other things) to notify about things of importance when visiting an airport. For instance if it’s non operational. MyPPR serves this purpose, but perhaps not in an ideal way. NOTAM is better for the pilot. If someone could invent a super lightweight NOTAM/AIP system for private airports that airport owners actually would use, this would be better.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

If someone could invent a super lightweight NOTAM/AIP system for private airports that airport owners actually would use, this would be better.

The Swedish system is to send an e-mail or make a phone call to the NOTAM office stating the contents of the NOTAM and the validity times. Can it be more lightweight than that? (I have done both, on multiple occasions.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Sep 12:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder if what you are describing is more related to IFR scheduled traffic, slots and that kind of things?

No. Slots are totally different story although sometimes overlap with PPR and in such cases the easiest (and the most expensive) way is that handling agent obtains both for you.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can it be more lightweight than that?

It’s not about you, it’s about the airport owner. The easiest way for NOTAM is through SD. Then you get whatever NOTAM is available for the relevant airports/route. Somewhat related is third party data for SD. They typically also include airports that does not exist in the AIP. Similar to Jeppesen. As I said, MyPPR works as a kind of light weight “AIP” and “NOTAM” also for those airports not in the AIP and/or NOTAM. You will get data there, and you will get similar info to what you get in a NOTAM.

If you only fly “according to” the official AIP, then it’s not clear to me what the problem actually is, or what those apps try to solve. It would be like making an app for obtaining PPR at military fields. That probably could be done, but would be very silly.

Emir wrote:

No. Slots are totally different story although sometimes overlap with PPR and in such cases the easiest (and the most expensive) way is that handling agent obtains both for you.

I don’t see what this has to do with PPR in itself. This is obviously an airport management thing.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s not about you, it’s about the airport owner.

I was (representing) the airport owner when I submitted those NOTAMs!

I don’t see what this has to do with PPR in itself. This is obviously an airport management thing.

It was you who mentioned slots and of course it’s not related to PPR. However, PPR is an airport management thing more than anything else.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

I was (representing) the airport owner when I submitted those NOTAMs!

Well, the airport owner doesn’t seem all too keen then when he needs a representative to send them.

Emir wrote:

However, PPR is an airport management thing more than anything else.

Yes. What I meant was that PPR itself is not the big bad wolf, but the airport management prescribing PPR “unnecessarily”.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, the airport owner doesn’t seem all too keen then when he needs a representative to send them.

You are just being silly! The airport owner in this case is an organisation. (Which I think is almost always the case except for private strips.) In that case the only human beings are representatives. Or do you think that e.g. ENVA is some kind of AI that issues NOTAMs on its own accord!?

Airborne_Again wrote:

Or do you think that e.g. ENVA is some kind of AI that issues NOTAMs on its own accord!?

It wouldn’t surprise me I have never sent NOTAMs anywhere, I have no idea of that works. But I was of the impression that to be able to send NOTAM about an airfield, then that airfield has to be “in the system”, part of the AIP.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message