Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfields with classic car collections

10 Posts

As a petrolhead, I almost love cars and motorbikes as much as I love aircraft. Watching YouTube I find that some car restoration companies are housed near airfields. Tyrrells Classic Workshop being one of them. Are there any airfields you know of where one can visit classic car collections? Could make for a nice destination!

EHTE, Netherlands

Let’s start with The largest automobile museum in the world is here in Mulhouse! The collection is simply marvellous, including the Corvette, the Bugatti Royale and F1 cars. Take an interactive journey to the land of automobiles.

One could land at Mulhouse-Habsheim LFGB, or Bale-Mulhouse LFSB… the museum is on neither field, but reachable by Taxi or other means.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan with the bonus of the French National Railway Museum too. And you can pretend you’re an AF pilot and try the inflight wood refuelling option, at Habsheim.

LFMD, France

Speyer EDRY, Technical Museum Speyer within walking distance.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There is of course Le Mans… The.circuit is over the circuit!!
You have to walk quite a way around the airfield and along busy roads to get to the museum, so it’s probably easier to get a taxi. The are also “experience” drives etc around the racing circuit etc.

Regards, SD..

There is a very good Motor Museum at Talmont St Hilaire not far from the Vendée airpark and a little further to LFOO.

Last Edited by gallois at 25 Feb 08:48
France

Around here there’s Opptand, Østersund (ESNM). Not classic cars per se, but there are some of them as well as I recall. Mostly Swedish military vehicles and airplanes.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I would also recommend requesting to land at Yeovilton – yes, I know, it is a RNAS base but I organised a club trip there from Germany for 4 aircraft back in 2014 – to sort this out just contact Ops who were most helpful. They have (obviously) the Fleet Air Arm museum there with Concorde 002 on display but also a short taxi trip away is Haynes Motor Museum – for those who don’t know it, Haynes would buy a car, strip it down and rebuild it, documenting the steps on the way – my Dad used to do all his car maintenance via such manuals….

A list of all cars on show in the museum is here.

If you want to give someone a wacky present, you could buy them an owners workshop manual for the USS Enterprise or perhaps a Haynes explains manual about Marriage

On their own, each of these is a day out well spent but together I’d recommend them highly….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 25 Feb 10:42
EDL*, Germany

Thanks guys! Inspiriation for new flights, I did visit Speyer (EDRY) two years ago and it was realy nice.

EHTE, Netherlands

If you land at Wellesbourne EGBW then you are a short taxi ride from the British Motor Museum, which has a large collection of cars from the very early days right through to the present day. Some of them are very unique, and there are quite a lot of ‘first of’ and ‘last of’ models.

Last Edited by Graham at 26 Feb 10:21
EGLM & EGTN
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message