Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Accident and Infringement reports referencing Form 214&215

A significant number of pilots I deal with as an FI/FE cannot explain, even in the roughest of terms, what the general weather situation of the day is and what effects/threats that will bring. The F215 is still an effective and simple way of bringing that to life rather than just looking at the current METAR (or the colour codes on your app) and launching off as a surprising amount of people do…

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

First, let me say that I had to google what Form 215 was… But it turns out this is a map I used.

While I agree this is not the best/most modern way to look at weather, and I use a collection of apps in addition.

One thing I struggle to find outside of this map is information about the front (type, location, etc), which is well played out on that F215 map.

What do people use and what more modern way to find this information if you don’t use this map? I use Foreflight and Windy for my weather planning, and that F215 is available in foreflight and the only place with the Front information.

EGTF, United Kingdom

roznet wrote:

One thing I struggle to find outside of this map is information about the front (type, location, etc), which is well played out on that F215 map.

I think only humans can do it with some degree of certainty, but we could ask @Mooney_Driver to confirm…
(I’m avoiding AI intentionally).

EGTR

A general synopsis chart is available from any number of sources. There is nothing specifically credible about the UK Met Office compared to the other sources, whether you’re talking about the forecasting model itself or the way in which information is provided.

When it comes to working out where a band of weather is and how it’s moving, I find a radar image the most useful.

F215 does focus nicely on what matters to a pilot, but the information it gives is vague and pessimistic to be of real use beyond understanding the general situation. If you set yourself strict VFR rules and followed what was on F215 to the letter, you’d never fly except on gin-clear CAVOK days when a two-week high pressure system has set in.

EGLM & EGTN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message