Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oh we do like to be beside the seaside

Some aircraft are not idea on uncertain surfaces, and there's a lot to lose when you get it wrong. I think of the DA-42 I stuck in 3 inches of slush, on pavement....

I have a few tricks I use on suspect surfaces, which are borne of mud and snow flying. As can be seen on my photo, I had run two passes along the beach for about 2 miles before deciding to land and stop on it. The first pass was one main wheel only, which if it is too soft, allows you to pull the wheel back out(up) before you're committed. The next run was two wheels, and the tracks are visible. Progressively feel the surface, being very attuned to a pitch force, which equates to a softer surface.

Finally, once a "runway" is defined, you can land and stop, leaving enough of your tested runway in front of you to takeoff on later.

Then you have until the rising tide to visit there.....

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot DAR 23-Nov-12 01:58 #11 Some aircraft are not idea on uncertain surfaces, and there's a lot to lose when you get it wrong. I think of the DA-42 I stuck in 3 inches of slush, on pavement....

I have a few tricks I use on suspect surfaces, which are borne of mud and snow flying. As can be seen on my photo, I had run two passes along the beach for about 2 miles before deciding to land and stop on it. The first pass was one main wheel only, which if it is too soft, allows you to pull the wheel back out(up) before you're committed. The next run was two wheels, and the tracks are visible. Progressively feel the surface, being very attuned to a pitch force, which equates to a softer surface>

I took the easy method and went for a walk on the beach with the girlfriend and dogs in the morning before I landed. While walking along the sand she noted how surprised she was that I wanted to go for the walk instead of “pissing about with that effing plane” and pointed out how beautiful the views were and how nice the dunes looked, my head was firmly facing the ground with one thought in mind, specifically “what a nice smooth, hard surface this is for landing” after getting back in the Land Rover she suggested a we go to the drive thru at MacDonald’s for a cappuccino, unfortunately I never heard her as at this point I had mentally pulled the power back and was dropping the last notch of flaps with the darkest strip of sand picked out as my centreline, her short sharp admonishment about me being an ignorant bastard and ignoring her aborted my imaginary beach landing for a few moments. Upon dropping me off at the strip she asked what I had planned for the day to which I casually replied “oh nothing in particular” 5 minutes later it was throttle to the firewall back over to the coast for my much rehearsed beach landing.

And yes Peter I agree, we are privileged to be able to do this type of flying

Farm strip in Angus Scotland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message