Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR GPS - 20 years old now

Peter wrote:

A lot of people still think the 480 was the best box, before the touch screen stuff came along, and a lot of people don’t like the touch screen stuff

The GNS 480 definitely has a cult following. I have a GTN 750 that has all the capabilities of the GNS 480 plus some more. I also have the Push to Command feature with the audio panel to control most of the operation of the GTN. “Show Map”; “Show Traffic”, “Tune Destination Weather”; Tune Destination CTAF"; “Show Procedure”; “Show Airport Information”; “Zoom In”; “Zoom Out” are my favorite and most used.

KUZA, United States

A lot of people still think the 480 was the best box, before the touch screen stuff came along, and a lot of people don’t like the touch screen stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The GNS 480 added the capability for LPV in 2004. GNS 430W added it in 2007. In 2008, the limitations for the GNS series that previously required other means of navigation (VOR) be required for IFR flight was removed if the GNS was upgraded with an appropriate antenna and software level, also known as sole source for IFR navigation. So since 2008, the last 13 years, I have not needed to fly an ILS approach in actual conditions, just do them for practice. LPV only, so much smoother, easier than an ILS.

KUZA, United States

skydriller wrote:

Ubiquitous G430 came out in 1998…

I flew an aircraft (a deiced TB20, actually) with a panel mount GPS the first time in 1993… A Garmin GPS 100 AVD. The first trip involved two North Sea crossings. Very boring, but it did give me plenty of time to fiddle with the GPS box. I can’t remember if it was actually approved for primary navigation (probably not) but I’m sure I used VORs for primary navigation anyway.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ubiquitous G430 came out in 1998…

The KLN90B would belong into this thread too.

Administrator

I wonder if we were better off back then.

@gallois we were. For some of us, and I guess possibly @canuck or @Pilot_DAR, the Canadian IR back in the day required knowledge of the four course LF range (I only ticked the box in the clockwork Frasca as the nearest four course range was Castlegar). As time passed you had LORAN and Omega (the last quite essential in Africa). Being the ultimate essence of a non precision approach, you carried out the LF approach limited panel. Not sure if the Frasca had built in static to simulate the real experience during summer thunder storms in the Rockies.

http://ed-thelen.org/TJohnson-LFRDF.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Me too, I had the 155 in my aircraft along with DME, VOR and ADF. No problem at all. Didn’t know any different until I started flying with G1000.
Seeing how difficult/expensive it is to upgrade the G1000, I wonder if we were better off back then.

France

I fly a lot with that in late 90’s in a C421. Loved it. It did everything I needed at that time. When I bought my first TB20, that was the installed navigator. Now my old Garmin sleeps in its tray, on my shelf. :) It had also SID/STARs too.

Last Edited by Zsoszu at 02 Apr 07:58
Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

27 years ago now, and the use of GPS is still being debated

A lot of these old boxes come up on a US ancient avionics site on FB, at silly prices given there is no database update.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message