Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot wear

I guess people can wear whatever they want but unless I was working eg as corporate crew or as an instructor and there was some reason to wear that stuff, I don't see the point. Perhaps in Africa etc although that again is for a specific reason.

I will be flying tomorrow wearing a suit but only because I have to go to meetings immediately afterwards. And it certainly won't have short sleeves!!

For me it is simply jeans (past their first youth) and a tee-shirt, and in cold weather a wood-chopper's flannel shirt on top.

If I was flying a microlight I would be wearing a heck of a lot more than that. Ski gear comes to mind!

EGTK Oxford

OK, I should have explained mine is a 3-axis and has a closed cabin, though the draughts are excessive where the wings fold. PPL fliers have even mistaken the bird for a Cessna - pfffieuw!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

And of course, nearly all pilots' uniforms commit the number one faux pas of men's formal wear - wearing a tie with a short-sleeved shirt. Urgh. Words cannot describe how bad it looks.

Fashion changes over time, looking through the professional pilot wear catalogues, it is very common these days.

I like Max' recommendation of a pilot shirt and a NATO sweater. Given that it's for Africa, I also like the idea of a short-sleeved shirt but I take the British view on formal shirts and suits should be considered authoritative...

Just because it's 'fashionable', or it appears in a catalogue, or people are wearing it, doesn't mean it looks good! ;-)

You'd never get me wearing that in a million years. It's just an absolute cast iron rule: no tie with a short-sleeved shirt.

Another cast iron rule is that if a tie is worn, then a jacket is also worn (occasional exceptions for country sports).

EGLM & EGTN

Fashion changes over time, looking through the professional pilot wear catalogues, it is very common these days.

Well, even though it may be common, that does not make it more correct. Fashion goes around in circles, remember? Your example photo carries stupidity to the extreme - why wear anything over a short-sleeved shirt, which is only preferrable for tropical environments anyway?

[[ edited to obviously revert the condition for wearing short-sleeved shirts ]]

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For British readers, I can't help but be reminded of:

EGTK Oxford

As a non-Brit, I beg for some orientation....

Let me guess, celebrity-stuffed soap-opera? 2nd from right one or another former president of USA, or owner of Cunard shipping, or any other such floundering business? Third from left been an opera star? Third from right been refused for "Mammy" in "Gone with the Wind" ? All of them over-acting and over-smiling like in the cheapest of movies/tabloids ... Except of course the couple (?) of capped officers, who clearly manage to stay clear of and above all turbulence... and cool, boy, how cool they are...

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@achim: sorry for kidnapping your thread, I am afraid the subject was far too delicate for some among us, myself first of all...

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Wear what you like.......but don't forget the all important shades lol.

As I drive in high heels one of these days I'm going to fly in my 3" heels and a nice skirt and top. Bet I'd get quicker assistance at the fuel pumps :) Though in the summer I did get strange looks hopping out of the C150 in flip flops having taxied over to fuel up for the next day.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Not just shades but the correct watch

This is another approach

though I believe the benefits of that reg did wear off (for the lady pilot concerned) after a while and the aircraft was moved to another one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message