Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot wear

Just realised my laugh went under Timothy's fancy dress posting and not Peter's (SX-BUM)!

I think it was appropriate for both! ;)

EGTK Oxford

While I might have been wearing flipflops I was very definitely not wearing boxer-shorts! I would have got even stanger looks haha.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Re. flipflops: Maybe you missed the Abercrombie&Fitch thread on PPRuNe (if it is allowed to post links to PPRuNe here ;-) ):

EDDS - Stuttgart

Jude's aviation flip-flops are featured in the wikipedia article.

Jude098, please enlighten this non-native speaker: what are flip flops? To me (and perhaps to a few more round here) a flip-flop is a building block in digital electronics, but that would not do as pilot's attire.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That being said, as a microlight pilot I would even feel ridiculous in the kind of (c?)overall's one sees acro pilots commonly wearing. While these do have the important feature of an endless series of pockets, I get told their real advantage is in the flame retardant (or -resistant) stuff they are made of.

I usually wear one of those coveralls for microlight flying.

Why? - It keeps my other clothes clean - Lots of pockets - The pockets all seal, so I don't lose stuff. - Warm (ish, depending upon season and aircraft I often add a jacket) - It looks okay.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

...if it were accompanied with the proper long-sleeved popeline shirt, well-ironed woollen trousers and ...

Let's keep religion out of this ;)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Just realised my laugh went under Timothy's fancy dress posting and not Peter's (SX-BUM)!

Sorry

LOL :)

I find that my old uniform (I no longer fly professionally) is still very useful.

I have now worn it twice to fancy dress parties.

Most recently the theme was "from a film with John Williams music" and most people turned up in Harry Potter, Indiana Jones or Star Wars dress (though my daughter in law was stunning as someone half-eaten by Jaws) but I was left a bit stumped as to how I was going to get away with uniform.

Until I stumbled across the fact that "Catch me if you can" had music by Williams!

EGKB Biggin Hill
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message