Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Potentially Dangerous Conflict at EGHJ

Just got back from a short flight to Bembridge EGHJ where we ended up in a potentially dangerous conflict with traffic, which was rather surprising given how quiet things were.

After contact with Bembridge Radio we heard another aircraft collect the airfield information, followed by them calling on a long final for 12 from the east. The runway at EGHJ is orientated 12/30. We were also positioning for a long final, so kept a good look out and were prepared to join overhead if we didn’t become visual. As we approached 2nm from the 12 threshold Bembridge Radio questioned why the aircraft that we thought was ‘ahead’ of us had landed on runway 30. Had he needed to make a go around, which was a definite possibility landing as he did with a tailwind, there could have been a chance of a nasty situation arising. The pilot of the other aircraft then spent some time hogging the frequency to explain that he was disorientated and then orientating himself on the airfield so that he could locate the 3 veteran passengers he was collecting!

What can be learned from this? Reading reports, these situations often arise, but perhaps could be better avoided if everyone called their position in the circuit referenced to the runway in use and the circuit direction. Even if you are landing in the wrong direction, it should be obvious if you are turning left or right…. Obviously some basic checks were missing in the cockpit somewhere and luckily nothing happened, but having aircraft at an uncontrolled field using opposing runways is never ideal.

EGBP, United Kingdom

These things (people calling east instead of west, calling inbound 12 when actually flying inbound 30, calling left instead of right circuit, etc.) just happen occasionally. Unfortunately, but it that’s the reality. And will always happen. Happened to me as well a couple of times.

Shows that having a good and constant lookout is just as important as making good radio calls. The two always go together.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Jun 12:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very true! Which is why it is encumbant on as many of us as possible to make clear and accurate position reports in the circuit. Not only does it help everyone around, but also helps one pick up ones own errors.

EGBP, United Kingdom

As I have written many times, I think A/G detracts from safety … I’m my oft stated opinion, there should either be full ATC or nothing….self announcing works very well, even at busy fields, most other places in the world….the problem with A/G is that pilots are reluctant to self announce or coordinate directly with other traffic…or even worse assume that the guy in the tower is watching out for them….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Totally agree. A/G introduces confusion and uncertainty. Completely useless. Either it’s ATC or uncontrolled, i.e. self-announced. Much better for the big picture and also easier and safer to coordinate between pilots.

Well, but at least in this case, it sounds like Bembridge Radio had nothing to do with it. Suggesting that the mere presence of a radio operator causes prople to make wrong position/intention reports is odd, IMHO.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Jun 15:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

….Suggesting that the mere presence of a radio operator causes prople to make wrong position/intention reports is odd, IMHO.

Not odd….I believe some pilots are reluctant to self announce when there is an A/G…..and certainly very few would address the other aircraft directly for clarification of their intentions

If one takes the “Air to Ground” literally, it is not even to be used for inter-pilot communication.

OTOH (and more importantly) Boscomantico is right: wherever a frequency and the required equipment are available, they should be used, for optimal safety, by all concerned.

Last Edited by at 21 Jun 16:33
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For example at a busy airfield I report “joining overhead”….the radio operator responds “roger, report final”….now there is one aircraft on downwind and another just climbing after a touch an go…. My calls are: “0GZ descending dead-side for Rwy 34 left hand”, “0GZ crosswind, joining downwind for Rwy 34 left hand”, “0GZ downwind rwy34 left hand”, “0GZ turning base rwy34 left hand”, “0GZ turning final rwy34 left hand”…..most pilots would be silent until on final given the initial request from the radio operator…..the typical British response is that all those calls clog the frequency…but I disagree if they are short and concise

AnthonyQ – Exactly, I do the same. If everyone makes a consise call at the correct points in the circuit, situational awareness is greatly increased. Even calls at the wrong point help a little. If everyone is flying around only calling on final, (which can vary between 1 and 8 miles!!) it becomes chaos.

Absolutely no fault here of Bembridge radio, I am sure they were surprised as anyone else to see an aircraft appear heading ‘the wrong way’.

EGBP, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message