Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Potentially Dangerous Conflict at EGHJ

I always announce direction on any crosswind, base or downwind call.

EGTK Oxford

+1 for AnthonyQ here. ‘Left traffic 03’ gives everyone a clear picture. Redundant? Maybe. But clarifies things.

Precisely because some airfields have RH circuits for some types of traffic or different directions….yes LH is “standard” but there are so many exceptions….and I never assume that everyone knows the local rules….if is say LH there is no ambiguity (even if it is technically redundant)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ: a question – why mention left hand?

The reason I ask is twofold: first things first, traffic circuits are generally left hand unless otherwise stated hence left hand circuits don’t usually need to be announced. Secondly, the airfields I generally operate have a given dead side and, depending on the runway in use, either have a left or right hand circuit – for example, 05 RH, 23 LH. Coming in to 23, you could be announcing “G-XX descending dead side 23” or “G-XX descending dead side 05” – dead side in both cases being the same area in relation to the runway just from opposite ends so other pilots would know where and in which direction I will be descending.

My next report would be either downwind if there is no known traffic – “G-XX downwind 23” or “G-XX right downwind 05”; if traffic was in the circuit or on the runway looking to depart, then I’d consider calling crosswind first, after which it would be “G-XX Base 23” or “G-XX Right Base 05” followed by “G-XX Final 23” or “G-XX Final 05”.

The only time announcing left hand makes sense if both left and right hand traffic patterns are in use at the same time but even so, the fact that on one circuit you announce RIGHT and the other one not, lets people know which circuit you’re in….. Just my tuppence worth, having spent enough time listening to “chapter and verse” and trying to announce where I am in a busy circuit…

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 23 Jun 16:55
EDL*, Germany

I prefer the US way of dealing with non towered fields. There may be someone on the ground with a radio (at busier fields there usually is) but everyone is quite clear they should self-announce and look out the window and organize themselves, and the guy on unicom is just there to give airfield information.

Perhaps it’s a training issue but at Andreas we have a few people who are always asking us for “clearances” when we’re operating the glider club. If I happen to be the one with the radio I always emphasise “at your discretion”, because they should be organizing themselves (yes – it’s absolutely prudent to ask about the winch cable and that kind of thing). Self announcing is enough, if we hear a power aircraft on downwind we’ll make sure the gliders are pushed off to the side and if you look out the window you can see that (we had one microlight instructor berate us at length for not being constantly on the A/G radio – if maybe he flew a circuit in his slow aircraft within the airfield boundary instead of a circuit fit for a B-52 he might be able to observe the activity on the ground and see we’re making sure vehicles and people are off the runway).

Andreas IOM

AnthonyQ – Exactly, I do the same. If everyone makes a consise call at the correct points in the circuit, situational awareness is greatly increased. Even calls at the wrong point help a little. If everyone is flying around only calling on final, (which can vary between 1 and 8 miles!!) it becomes chaos.

Absolutely no fault here of Bembridge radio, I am sure they were surprised as anyone else to see an aircraft appear heading ‘the wrong way’.

EGBP, United Kingdom

For example at a busy airfield I report “joining overhead”….the radio operator responds “roger, report final”….now there is one aircraft on downwind and another just climbing after a touch an go…. My calls are: “0GZ descending dead-side for Rwy 34 left hand”, “0GZ crosswind, joining downwind for Rwy 34 left hand”, “0GZ downwind rwy34 left hand”, “0GZ turning base rwy34 left hand”, “0GZ turning final rwy34 left hand”…..most pilots would be silent until on final given the initial request from the radio operator…..the typical British response is that all those calls clog the frequency…but I disagree if they are short and concise

If one takes the “Air to Ground” literally, it is not even to be used for inter-pilot communication.

OTOH (and more importantly) Boscomantico is right: wherever a frequency and the required equipment are available, they should be used, for optimal safety, by all concerned.

Last Edited by at 21 Jun 16:33
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

….Suggesting that the mere presence of a radio operator causes prople to make wrong position/intention reports is odd, IMHO.

Not odd….I believe some pilots are reluctant to self announce when there is an A/G…..and certainly very few would address the other aircraft directly for clarification of their intentions

Well, but at least in this case, it sounds like Bembridge Radio had nothing to do with it. Suggesting that the mere presence of a radio operator causes prople to make wrong position/intention reports is odd, IMHO.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Jun 15:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message