Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A pan-European aircraft register?

10 Posts

This EASA NPA, page 19 of the PDF, proposes it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As the document neatly states, this would mean giving up national identity. Not going to happen, not in a month of Sundays.

Besides, today’s variety in national regulations would make it very hard for non-EASA craft such as Annex II, gliders, balloons… Shift only EASA-categories to the EASA registry? Chaos!

Last Edited by at 02 Jul 15:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

When we fly and maintain aircraft according to common rules, it is only natural to have one register – in theory. In real life though, I hope this will never happen.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In real life though, I hope this will never happen.

Why?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Just look at the rules for experimental aircraft in the UK and Germany, and the answer is given. If French rules were to be used, then OK, but that will never happen with Brits and Germans on board. So we are much better off as we are.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“A high impact on resources at EASA level could be expected”

In Bureaucrat Speak that means “we’re pushing this because we’d like to redirect national tax revenues to ourselves”

I would love this and be the first one to put a EU-reg on my tail.

If all pilots were dealing with one EASA then we would be much more powerful because they would feel the wrath of all of us on bad regulation.

In Bureaucrat Speak that means “we’re pushing this because we’d like to redirect national tax revenues to ourselves”

Yes – that proposal gets a good 9/10 for University of Upper Warlingham MBA corporate bullsh*t.

Fortunately I get sufficient practice in my day job to be able to decode it, though often one has to read a given piece several times.

If all pilots were dealing with one EASA then we would be much more powerful because they would feel the wrath of all of us on bad regulation.

That would never happen because the national CAAs will continue to operate as EASA offices, with local gold plating which nobody will have the money (or in some cases the willpower) to challenge legally. Remember that medicals are still done locally so you don’t want to upset your local CAA if they have let you in on some concession (pretty common as pilots get older) And sometimes the “local differences” will be useful, so those bits will be left to continue…

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Jul 17:20
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fortunately I get sufficient practice in my day job to be able to decode it, though often one has to read a given piece several times.

Me too. In my day job they even refer to individual people as ‘resources’, never mind money, and generally I like to call them out on it. I try to avoid using the word ‘parasite’ too much in response.

Through your elected representatives to the EU? The ones who directly control EASA funding and can therefore exert direct control on their regulations? Lack of competition, when tolerated for the benefit of efficiency needs a metaphorical gun held to its head at all times. The EU Government seems to me on the timeline of US experience with federalization somewhere between 1777 when the union was established and 1789 when the Constitution was put into effect… Notwithstanding that Europe is a culturally complex place with a lot of complex history, a lot could be learned from that particular 18th century process.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Jul 18:16

The problem with this is you’ll end up with the set of the most restrictive rules from each country.

Andreas IOM
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message