Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory electronic flight plan filing at Le Touquet

Today’s notam:

FPL FILING : FOR OUTGOING FLIGHTS, FPL SHOULD COMPULSORY BE FILED
VIA ELECTRONIC WAY (INTERNET POSITION OR SMARTPHONE APPLICATION).
DUE TO SATURATION REASONS, FPL TRANSMITTED BY FAX WILL NOT BE
PROCESSED. : NOTAM LF/B2901/14

The 21st century is being forced upon us! This cannot be allowed!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It might be a reaction to you sending faxes to all airports prior to your trips?

“should compulsory” = optional?

Probably they finished their last roll of thermal fax paper and just found out that it was not only their last roll, but the last one worldwide

I can’t remember having seen a fax machine in operation since the begin of the new millenium.

EDDS - Stuttgart

should = compulsory
may = optional.

That’s the way generally with legal documents, though in ordinary English should does indicate it’s recommonded rather than compulsory.

Better legal documnets use “shall” for compulsory.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I dont see the issue really. The provide a free terminal with Olivia to file a flight plan, and in the old days they provided bits of paper and a fax machine. There isnt additonal complexity or cost to the pilot. They also provide free WiFi so if you have SD, RR etc, you can file it online using the tool of your choice.

The only issue is that Olivia accepted the flight plan I filed from home, but then somehow when I wanted to leave, noone found it anymore, not even by the reference number. So that caused me quite some hassle and delay, since Olivia insists on filing at least one hour in the future.

From the reaction of the staff, I haven’t been the only one 8-)

But apparently sending a ready message can get you a departure before filed EOBT, didn’t know that.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 03 Jul 11:52
LSZK, Switzerland

But apparently sending a ready message can get you a departure before filed EOBT, didn’t know that.

Didn’t know that either. Is that an Olivia specific feature? I’ve never seen anything like that in eurofpl / rocketroute / homebriefing…

Is that an Olivia specific feature?

No; AFAIK you cannot send ready messages with the usual briefing tools. But the tower can, so it’s a good idea to ask them to send a ready message for you.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks Tom. My current way of working is that I file a FPL at the earliest possible EOBT, and delay it to the real EOBT when I know it…

Or use RR and the bring forward feature which effectively cancels and refiles for an earlier time.

EGTK Oxford
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message