Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

eurocontrol_think_paper_21_long_haul_decarb_pdf

It’s funny that in their key findings they basically agree that it is impossible How many salaries went into producing this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting to read anyways. I am always puzzled how non-stringent these studies are, i.e. one advantage of burning fuel was/is the just-in-time production of energy, while the electrical energy of batteries has to be done before = storing potential energy in fossils is a different animal than storing produced energy in a battery, correct? So to compare one would have to use generators vs. fossils burning?

Germany

A proper comparison would take into account the whole cycle i.e. energy used in making the batteries, what is involved in disposal (yeah we all know they get shipped to India for scrapping ) etc. If you are talking commercial transport then the airlines will have to foot that bill, which they will not like doing.

Administrator

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/comparative-life-cycle-greenhouse-gas-emissions-of-a-mid-size-bev-and-ice-vehicle

Much of the end-of-life batteries are going into stationary applications and/or are used to recoup materials. India?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This thread is very long. Lots of opinions. But, how many here have actually tried an electric plane ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My base, EGKA, has just installed one of these

The input is 3 phase 16mm2, about 50kW max. The wiring was poorly done; I hope somebody notices and gets them back to re-do it.

I asked about the cost. They said it is up to the airport and will probably be about £1 per kWh. The one on the IOW was said to be 80p-90p per kWh. These prices are going to make electric planes very expensive to operate – same as charging electric cars actually which as a result cost as much as diesel cars per mile when charged from public points.

Administrator

It sounds to me as if someone is trying to strangle the electric car and aircraft industry ay birth in the UK while still taking advantage of any subsidies, just in case it does.
£1 per Kwh is outrageous.

France

LeSving wrote:

But, how many here have actually tried an electric plane ?

Does trying it out change the fact that it can’t carry much or stay in the air very long?

I’ve never been to the Maldives, but I know it’s hot there. I’ve never been to a photocopier convention, but I know it would be dull.

gallois wrote:

It sounds to me as if someone is trying to strangle the electric car and aircraft industry ay birth in the UK while still taking advantage of any subsidies, just in case it does.
£1 per Kwh is outrageous.

Not so much trying to strangle, but more a case of no-one’s going to bother doing these things unless they can make a really hefty margin on them. Put yourself in the shoes of the person running EGKA, and think about how much revenue you would want from it per day/week/month in order for it to justify whatever it costs you, plus the hassle of dedicating a parking space in a fairly prime location.

Last Edited by Graham at 15 Sep 07:17
EGLM & EGTN

Nothing to do with aviation… look at the 90p/kWh charged by public points for electric cars.

Evidently a 3x minimum margin over the wholesale electricity price is a requirement for installing the points.

Airport points have different economics though. Very low utilisation in general compared to car points, but OTOH you should not have the vandalism cost (car points are vandalised half the time, in some places).

The outfit operating these, Aerovolt, is obviously charging the airport something. Maybe just a % of the revenue?

Practically, the range of electric planes is so poor that not many will make it to [ insert any GA airport ] to start with

Administrator

Graham wrote:

Does trying it out change the fact that it can’t carry much or stay in the air very long?

It’s like saying you don’t need to taste beer and wine to understand that alcohol is not necessarily good for yo. Then you completely miss the point that beer and wine are good for other things. Happiness for instance dinner, party.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message