Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Complicated trip planning

In Germany, a helicopter is only permitted to land at airfields and heliports. Getting approval for a private heliport is almost impossible. Makes it kind of useless.

I thought we were talking about Greece here…….

Btw, AFAIK also not an issue in the UK.

In the UK, private helipads are subject to the usual “change of use” regs i.e. the same 28-day rule which controls private strips. You have to “keep your head down” for 10 years and then you can apply for a lawful use certificate which is granted on the basis of actual historical movements.

I think most wealthy individuals go for the full Planning Permission route from the start because the 28 day rule is so useless for personal transport. Doing that costs c. 100k (which is why AFAIK the last UK airfield that was done ab-initio was done in 1978 – I investigated this for a 750m grass strip a while ago) and of course you may not succeed. But 100k is nothing if you have a twin turbine heli. Large country properties often come with a legally established helipad, but normally they will either be somewhat remote, or will be grouped with other similar properties occupied by similar high business achievers who are not likely to object due to the usual reason (envy). If your property is remote, and not subject to some special classification, you can get the full PP if you throw money at it…

I am sure the same system works in Greece, because helicopters are popular there.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Aug 17:24
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, an airport is not needed for helicopter operations in Greece. After entering the country formally you can land anywhere you like, provided you are responsible for selecting the area to be outside inhabited areas, and you don’t kill anybody. You just have to use common sense. Eg a helicopter came today and landed in the premises of a hotel – no helipad.

If someone wants to have a helipad in the AIP and use it more “formally” then AFAIK this is fairly straightforward in Greece.

Last Edited by atmilatos at 27 Aug 17:42
LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Don’t you need the landowner’s permission?

That’s how it works in the UK.

But the location is still subject to the 28 day rule. Obviously if you just visit somebody once a year then he will never exceed the 28 day rule, but you will exceed it at your house because you will be flying somewhere say every few days.

Is it really possible for a Greek landowner to establish a helipad in the face of local objections?

There are “interesting” ways to play the system here, if you have helipads on adjacent properties. Then you could easily meet the 28 day rule for any individual one, Obviously, the authorities like to lump them all together

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Aug 17:48
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well you need the owner’s permission, but you can land on a beach instead or at an area that has no owner.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Is that an AIRAC date?

17-Feb-2050 would be one, that is 463 cycles from now :)

LSZK, Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message