Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

FAA PTS requires a partial panel approach…EASA does not…. But I assume both require partial panel unusual attitude recovery?
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Have done a bit more digging on FAR 61.31 e, f and g.

The ATP dispensation is only available in the context of Part 121 and 135 training programmes. (e) is complex (variable prop/retractable) sign off for sub 200HP, and I suspect many FAA pilots on this site have this through grandfathering rights if you were PIC in a complex aircraft prior to August 1997. Ditto for (f) or high performance aircraft (engine above 200HP, so a Seneca 1 does not qualify, but the turbo does (210 hp at 12,000 feet)), and ditto for a (g) pressurised operating above FL250. An older turboprop might be pressurised but limited to FL250 and you may be able to fly it without the high altitude endorsement, I think. In the same vein if you have 182 time prior to August 1997 you may be OK on (f) because the engine is rated to 230HP, a Boeing Stearman presumably also qualifies.

YMMV and the above is based on internet sources, the FAR themselves, and discussing it with a CFI.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/1998/July/1/Pilot-Counsel-(6)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

From the IAOPA Europe website

‘The Commission, through the acting head of aviation, has informed us that the April 2016 deadline for operators of ā€˜Nā€™ registered aircraft will, in all likelihood, see the deadline extended again for another 12 months (to April 2017).’

thanks Phobos. Great news for N Reg drivers!!

I am still hoping for a paper conversion but doubt it will happen.

This also means that pilots seeking to gain the IR may want to consider the FAA route since it is one exam and a checkride/oral and then after 50 hours of IFR time, you can convert to the EASA IR with a checkride and oral (plus EASA medical). I agree with Peter that realistically this means 3 to 4 days solid training before the checkride but that is still a lot better than having to write all those EASA exams etc.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

I don’t disagree but it depends on how doing the FAA IR is going to fit in with your personal life.

Sure if you pop over to Arizona and spend some weeks there (it took me 2 wks but by then I had the IMCR and had loads of instrument time, so maybe 6 wks ab initio) that will be smooth process, because they do it all the time. You do have the TSA/Visa issue although quite a lot of people have not bothered with the Visa, surprisingly to me…

But doing it in Europe has rarely been a smooth process, and that’s before you get to the checkride options which seem to be done outside the UK for some reason…… I did my FAA CPL in the UK and that is much simpler than the IR, and I did the checkride with one of the last visiting examiners before that option got killed, but I struggled with finding an FAA CFI who was “around” regularly. I did a few flights with a Virgin ATP who was doing this as a sideline but the firm he was doing it through was very disorganised. There is no doubt the training could be organised and done if you can dig out some good people but then you could get buggered when you get to the checkride if the guy who has the sole agency for Europe decides you don’t meet the huge great long list of the requirements on his website (which we aren’t going to advertise here; he has made legal threats against various people, myself included). The last firm I heard was working with him, some years ago, was Orbifly in France (run by an ATCO from Rouen, Alexandra Zainal, IIRC) who might know the latest…

The seven CB IR exams are the other option. I would say it’s the easier one given that you can do the ipad bashing of the QB at home with your family.

But the bigger decision is whether the plane is to be N-reg or Euro-reg, and that will drive the decision of which IR to do / to do first. N-reg is good for proactive owners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On this subject, I have a permanent Brazil visa in my passport, and am registered as a resident there. Does this mean that I can prove than I am not an EU resident from an EASA point of view?! I have never really figured out the wording in these rules, can anyone give a legal opinion on this?…

TIA

EGHS

I bought an Nreg and did all my IR training in the UK and the checkride at LFAT….one written exam… I already had a reasonable number of instrument time as a result of my IMCR but still did about 20+ hours training…never stepped foot in the US… And actually I could have done it all in a G-reg…my CFII was also an EASA FI… This approach is most beneficial to a UK IR(R) holder who already has a reasonable amount of instrument time….and after getting the FAA IR can then rack up 50hrs under the IFR… I would definitely recommend this approach for anyone with a life (for IMCR holders in the UK) vs the full CBIR ATO + 7 exams route…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 05 Feb 17:59
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Did you do your training with a freelancer or via some firm?

Last time I was involved in this, the checkride was not possible in a G-reg, because the FAA DPE would need to have an EASA CPL (today maybe just CPL theory) in order to get paid (in UK airspace).

Administrator

The European based examiner fee is of a magnitude that heading over to Florida on a cheap ticket to get your ride done may be cost effective.

Am I right that IR training in Europe is valid to meet the requirements for an FAA check ride? The main Florida schools will gladly undertake a 3 to 5 hour exam prep, including for the oral.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Am I right that IR training in Europe is valid to meet the requirements for an FAA check ride?

Definitely. All training counts, if done outside the USA, and in any aircraft reg.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message