Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

According to the statement of the parties can not be expected to further extension through April 2017..

From my recollection, a similar statement has been made everytime that there has been a previous extension!
By logic, there must be a ‘last’ time and then this statement will be proved to be true. But, as I am led to believe, they have postponed yet again because of the need to finalise the BASA, bearing in mind that the forthcoming US elections are now concentrating most American minds, I would not put too much money on the absolute ‘certainty’ that this is the last postponement.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

They have to say that, otherwise (as I have written many times) it would be like your kid demanding his 5th ice cream that day and you say to him that he cannot have it but if he screams loud enough and chucks his toys out of the pram, you will give in and let him have it

These postponements seem to be related totally to the “forthcoming” EASA-FAA treaty. The original EASA FCL anti-N-reg reg was passed by the EU Transport Committee, in a narrow vote, after they were given a dishonest assurance (IOW, a typical EU way of doing business) that the treaty would be just around the corner.

It looks like somebody is now making them responsible for that crooked job.

The final irony would be if the UK leaves the EU Then anybody whose N-reg is based in the UK won’t need EASA pilot papers. Currently this is possible only on the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, none of which are attractive unless you really want to be based there (you basically have to live there)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The final irony would be if the UK leaves the EU Then anybody whose N-reg is based in the UK won’t need EASA pilot papers.

What makes you think that?

this

Obviously the UK CAA could implement something similar anyway.

Administrator

If the UK leaves the EU, the UK would almost certainly remain within the EASA system (but without a vote). In in the unlikely event that it does not, I still very much doubt that the application of local rules to FRA would be rolled back.

The UK will no doubt continue to implement EU rules but the requirement

registered in a third country and used by an operator for which any Member State ensures oversight of operations or used into, within or out of the Community by an operator established or residing in the Community;

will be no longer satisfied if the UK is no longer in the “Community” (the EU).

A law implementing a restriction needs to be read as it is written.

Administrator

Peter
Switzerland is not in the community yet it adopts EASA rules and we are not exempted from this EASA-FCL crap.

Last Edited by placido at 25 Feb 20:57
LSZH

Placido – could you please read exactly what I wrote above and say what you think is wrong with it?

Switzerland is free to adopt the regs written by the agency on Alpha Centauri, but that doesn’t change the wording of EASA FCL.

Administrator

The final irony would be if the UK leaves the EU Then anybody whose N-reg is based in the UK won’t need EASA pilot papers. Currently this is possible only on the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, none of which are attractive unless you really want to be based there (you basically have to live there)

From the above I understand that you are inferring that if the UK is not in the EU anymore then N-registered pilots/aircraft based in the UK would not need EASA pilot papers anymore. What I am saying is that Switzerland has never been in the EU but we still need EASA papers, so I couldn’t follow your final irony.

If I misread or misunderstood it might be because English is still a foreign language to me. Let me know what I misunderstood.

LSZH

placido wrote:

What I am saying is that Switzerland has never been in the EU but we still need EASA papers,

Do you have a reference for that, placido – apart from the obvious reference to the EASA Basic Regulation?

I have not looked for how “Community” is defined in the context of EASA, but I would assume it refers to the boundaries of the EU which Switzerland is not part of. So unless “established or residing in the Community” can be interpreted as “established or residing in an EASA Member State” it would not apply to a resident of Switzerland. Therefore, if Swiss residents are required to have Swiss licenses and ratings to act as PIC on N-reg aircraft when flying within EASA MS, there must be some specific Swiss add-on.

I do not think for example Norway requires Norwegian residents to have EASA papers to fly N-reg aircraft. They have instead banned N-reg aircraft from being based in Norway.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message