Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA42 5B-CLI lost near Cyprus - alleged hostile act

10 Posts

It sounds rather incredible… but not many DA42s go down unless they run out of fuel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would treat ANY information emanating from this part of the world with a big grain – no, make that a mountain – of salt.

Allegedly the pilot reported he was turning back due to an unspecified issue, and then vanished.

not many DA42s go down unless they run out of fuel

What pilots in a DA42 are immune from mistakes?? This is a bold claim.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Oct 21:35
EGTK Oxford

Jason can you offer a detailed explanation as to how

What pilots in a DA42 are immune from mistakes?? This is a bold claim.

is derived from my post above?

Administrator

You said not many DA42s go down unless they run out of fuel. I was challenging the assertion that they are any different from other types where problems are predominantly pilot created. Why are you surprised that a DA42 would crash?

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Oct 21:50
EGTK Oxford

Jason Okay …Peter was not making bold claims or even statements IMHO..the context is here is different then the assumption of flying skills…just saying

Last Edited by Vref at 30 Oct 16:51
EBST

Has anything ever come up about what happened?

always learning
LO__, Austria

A google on the reg turns up the ASN report which has some links.

They recovered the two bodies and from them you could normally tell if it was a bomb (embedded bits) and this is not mentioned.

Kathryns report has more.

There might be more on google further down…

Administrator

„Liquid does not compress so it is worse than granite that’s why the aircraft was shattered to small pieces. The biggest piece is the tail of around 1.5 metres,” Loizou said.

Physics lesson for me please. Water will at least diverge around an object a bit. If a plane hits granite wouldn’t the bits be even smaller?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The final report of the Cyprus AAIB

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 12 May 01:13
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message