Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why does this Mooney not sell?

Garmin:

The GNC 420W adds a TSO-certified 760-channel comm transceiver to the GPS 400W WAAS navigation capabilities and color display, creating the first color GPS/comm in the industry. GNC 420W has all the IFR GPS and comm features of the GNS 430W minus the VOR, ILS or glideslope capability you may already have in your aircraft.

Yes, it has 8,33KHz spacing.

Last Edited by nobbi at 19 Nov 17:54
EDxx, Germany

Maybe some folk shy away from N-Reg planes due to the incertainty in recent years and due to the high possibility that it won’t be possible to register it into EASA if needed, e.g. if there are components or STC’s installed which EASA does not accept.

There has never been any real incertainty as to the future of N-regs in Europe.

The majority of private instrument pilots in Europe have FAA papers, so no problem there. N-reg would rather be considered an advantage, as it allows for significant savings on maintenance (in addition to much reduced headaches from dealing with the regular brainfarts of the Euorpean CAAs).

For the same reason, not being able to register on EASA reg is a minor issue. The market for that is very small.

BTW, there is no such thing as a “bargain buy”. The price usually has it’s reason. I was just wondering what it could be in this case. Sure, the paint scheme is a tad odd, but that can’t be it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Nov 18:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It does? Ok, that can’t be it then. So what is the difference between the 420 and 430 W?

N reg: Anyone who knows the scene would react as you do, but there are many people who will be nervous just from all the (intentional) rumours. Double licensing, e.t.c. A few years ago, things were not as clear as they are now. And old myths die hard. Apart, there are practical reasons too. I do not have a (valid) FAA License nor do I plan to go through the bureaucracy of getting one unless I would intend to fly in America. I know I could get a validation, but many people only think Visa, more bureaucracy and another Medical e.t.c. Not all are as educated in that matter as you are or are of a different opinion.

Not being able to register to EASA: A lot of people won’t look at an N-Reg plane if they do not have a FAA license and shy away from the formalities of import and possible show stoppers for registration to EASA. I know several. Not everyone is willing to deal with N-Reg planes, the trusts and all formalities which go with it. And the moment a plane has some STC or other equipment not EASA approved, you can’t import and register it.

Also a lot of people here have the prejudice that N-Reg planes are “less maintained” because the rules are not as strict. Again, mostly a myth, but then again, in the US itself often a very valid argument. I’ve seen planes there which would not pass a simple JNP here yet fly there happily.

BTW, there is no such thing as a “bargain buy”. The price usually has it’s reason. I was just wondering what it could be in this case. Sure, the paint scheme is a tad odd, but that can’t be it.

I agree.

There have been several such planes on Planecheck for years, most of them N-Reg. Probably the only way to find out is to inspect it and it’s documentation on the spot with the help of a knowledgable person.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

would not pass a simple JNP here

JNP = JahresNeuPrüfung = (more or less) Annual???
What’s that in (Swiss) French?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

What’s that in (Swiss) French?

visite annuelle
sounds like medical …

Last Edited by nobbi at 19 Nov 22:31
EDxx, Germany

The avionics are a strange combination. Is the KNS-80 the only NAV receiver? So upgrading this panel will probably be quite expensive.

The “special” paint job…

And the engine ran 155 hours in 5 years. That would scare me off.

No word about damage history.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

NIL : The seller of this Mooney has a Cessna Centurion listed “cheap” as well.

The 210 has now been on the market for close to a year (or more?) despite the very low price . In the listing we learn it has recent paint and some excellent, recent avionics: Aspen w Synthetic Vision, GNC530W, S’Tec AP, GTX330 ModeC, etc. etc.

I was hired by a prospective buyer to do a pre-purchase Inspection. We flew up from France and started with a test flight since I wanted the engine warm for compression test and to check oil filter contents.

The flight went well and IIRC evreything worked except the gear warning.

Then I rolled up my sleeves and pulled off the cowl …

I was horrified (no, that’s not too strong) from what I saw : copious amounts of oil running off the oil filter adapter (major AD on this!) , alternate air door flapping in the wind, N2 cylinder 20psi/80 (!), etc. etc.

Then came the airframe inspection: very, very poor major damage repair, profuse corrosion coming up from under the recent paint, etc. etc.

And this aircraft had just had it’s Annual Inspection signed off ! (Talk about “pencil whipping” …)

Fast forward to the Mooney: I have a client that asked me just yesterday what I think about it … all I can say is that I have some very serious reserves concerning the SELLER. -

BUYER BEWARE !

Last Edited by Michael at 20 Nov 07:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Now, this is where the Internet shows its power. Thanks Michael!

You’re wellcome. To be frank, I’m rather pissed at the seller for not being more forth-coming BEFORE we flew to his base. Mind you, I got paid for my work but I was really very dissapointed for the buyer and the fact that he was now out over 1,000€ (w expenses) and 1 full work day for naught !

Then there’s the so called “Annual Inspection” signed just 48 hours before my inspection.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

That’s ridiculous – but I’ve seen it before. Another proof about what a good investment a thorough pre-buy inspection is. In the end the € 1000 were a good “investment” … You can’t be too careful.

I “bought” a Cirrus 1.5 years ago that did nt even belong to the seller anymore but was confiscated by police :-) Thank go i did the whole deal through a notary – which is another good advice: Do not buy airplanes in cash and do not pay before it is registered in your name (if possible at all)

Sign in to add your message