Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

But they DO accept one for hearing.

They absolutely do not. How do I know? Had my audiogram yesterday.

The functional hearing test is additional to the audiogram if the audiogram is failed.

Yes another topic but I don’t think your AME will want to see this

Maybe for the NPPL or some such…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Tango wrote:

Can you also bring reports of self-assessed visual acuity? Asking for a friend

:) Nope! But they DO accept one for hearing.
On a serious note – if your hearing is on threshold of pass/fail for your audiogram, bringing with you the results of “functional hearing tests” might help.
That hearing test a very short flight with a CFI and fairly basic, but I think that is topic for a different thread. :)

EGTR

Good Q but we don’t have a choice – unless you go on the UK PMD (or the French UL medical) but then you cannot fly outside your own country. UK PMD+PPL holders can fly to France in an amateur built annex 1. The PMD now covers the IMCR but for European travel, or an IR, you need the Class 2.

FWIW, I spoke to one AME the other day about the PMD and the reaction was as unhappy as I could imagine that AME to produce. So it is an amazing thing that the UK CAA did something so visionary. I pay £300 for my UK medical now, which is about 1hr, and this is no doubt because the PMD has eliminated > 50% of UK PPL business.

Actually I wonder if the CAA knew about a possible legal action, like Pape who got an ATPL but limited to Australia. Let’s face it – the Class 2 could never be defended on pilot incapacitation statistics.

Anyway, my post about BP was intended to help people who want the Class 1 or Class 2. I bet you that if you eat the “average food” then that list will knock 30/30 off your BP reading. And IME most AMEs measure BP incorrectly; I’ve had the test right on walking through the door, after driving for 2hrs.

Administrator
most UK AMEs allow you to bring your own BP readings made at home

Can you also bring reports of self-assessed visual acuity? Asking for a friend

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

172driver wrote:

So what’s the point of an AME then?

I think many pilots around the world are asking the very same question…
(in a cranky voice) “Many, many moons ago no one understood the human health and it interacts with flying and so the first AMEs were introduced…” :)

EGTR

So what’s the point of an AME then?

Not heard of that before…

Administrator

Peter, most UK AMEs allow you to bring your own BP readings made at home (for a PPL, not CPL), so you could do it that way – made a three measurements at a time over a course of a few days and write those numbers on a paper. :)

EGTR

I think a good method to minimise any BP issues at your medical is

• avoid salt for a couple of days (almost all commercial catering is full of salt)
  • eat less than usual
  • drink less than usual, and drink hibiscus tea
  • get someone else to drive you there, or take a train+taxi
  • avoid meeting people who give you hassle
  • insist on sitting properly, back supported, torso upright, feet on the floor, arms resting on lap, and think of rabbits shagging hopping in a field, and do not talk even if the AME is asking you something
Administrator

Here in Bulgaria we are doing fine on lentil soups and leak with onions and garlic. Unfortunately they were out of sprouts.

If I ever needed proof that I am an old fa*t I definitely got it now. But the food is delicious nevertheless.

Also had one of the best Cesar salads in a long time here.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
772 Posts
Sign in to add your message