Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

Peter wrote:

It also demolishes the often quoted idea that without meat you basically die; it debunks the protein myth.

Of course you won’t die if you don’t eat meat, but if you don’t eat any animal products at all you will unless you take vitamin B12 supplements or eat foodstuffs fortified with B12 (which is indeed commonplace).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Of course you won’t die if you don’t eat meat, but if you don’t eat any animal products at all you will unless you take vitamin B12 supplements or eat foodstuffs fortified with B12 (which is indeed commonplace).

Absolutely right. Lots of meat eaters are B12 deficient too, and in fact most of the B12 they get is from supplements fed to the animals. One way or another we all need supplements.

Last Edited by Athene at 26 Nov 10:09

1.01 of Biology is “Variation in Organisms”. Meiosis ensures every sperm and ovum has a unique mix of genes.
A well known example in humans is lactose intolerance ( normal for adult mammal) and tolerance, selected mutation in human populations where milk was available.
There are likely other population selected/permitted variations, so a diet suitable for one human may not be suitable for another.
I am an omnivore.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I am sure pretty well everybody can eat meat and dairy, without specific ill effects.

I certainly can. The only stuff I won’t touch is curry, red/green peppers, coriander, parsley, and beans, but that’s because I hate it, not because it would kill me

Meat and dairy are excellent for bunging up one’s blood vessels, including those in the brain (vascular dementia), for making cancers grow, and various other things. I’ve found both easy to give up, except when unavoidable (when travelling, usually; then I eat fish). Dairy is especially easy to give up, because there is oat and soya milk.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A lot of olive oil is not good for the arteries.

Hold on – I thought olive oil was supposed to be good for the arteries (I mean, so long as you’re using normal culinary amounts and you’re not drinking it neat by the mug) – it’s supposed to be almost as effective as some high blood pressure medications for a start.

Andreas IOM

A lot if unscientific stuff in this thread.

What will really lead to arteriosclerosis ("bunging up one’s blood vessels as Peter calls it) is

• genetics (which you can’t do anything about
  • smoking
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Hyperlipidaemia (this can be influenced by diet, but again genetics play a larger role!)
  • Elevated blood pressure (mostly a factor of age and lack of exercise)

As a doctor I would never recommend to go fully vegetarian and if I could would outlaw veganism, which is a terrible cult like movement. Humans are omnivores by nature and eating meat is not a problem per se, although quality and quantity obviously matter. And yes, eating red meat does increase the risk of cancer, but then again so do most things that are enjoyable.

The best life expectancy is reached by being slightly overweight (BMI range 25 to 27) and enjoying life consciously, without any extreme diet. And stay away from smoking!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

“A lot of unscientific stuff”, indeed

The medical profession catches up eventually, but it can take decades.

Hyperlipidaemia goes with exactly what else? And what happens to it when you drop meat and dairy?

What happens to blood pressure when you drop meat and dairy? It drops substantially.

“The best life expectancy” is not same as best quality of life. Today, the medical machine keeps a lot of people alive, but the scene at your local hospital inpatients dept (or even the family doctor) is like something out of Mad Max.

The people you don’t see there (much) are those who don’t believe the medical profession telling them that “everything is ok in moderation”, which is basically the medical version of Bismarck’s “politics is the art of the possible” i.e. some 99% of people who had a few stents pushed up them regard themselves as fixed and go back to their previous lifestyle immediately.

Veganism is mostly a religious/political position nowadays, in N Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

“everything is ok in moderation”

Everything in moderation…. including moderation.

;-)

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

dairy

Again, however I tried I haven’t found any scientific proof or study confirming your statement. It’s rather opposite.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message