Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Attitudes to GPS around Europe

In September 2013 I flew with my family on a Cirrus SR20 VFR from Germany through the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, into Romania and back to Germany through Austria. VFR in Eastern Europe feels like IFR because of ATC – just stay away from the clouds.

To prepare each flight I used Skydemon and then entered the flight plan into the GNS430 and had it visualized on the MFD. Because of the GNS430 I only used IFR waypoints. A good part of the flights was in VMC on top of clouds. SD was running as a 3rd screen and logging so I always had perfect awareness of my position and what might come next.

The flight school in EDFE (Egelsbach) where I reactivated my PPL after a 17 year long pause a few months earlier before going on that long trip makes a point to have the most current equipment. All their aircraft are EFIS or “glass”. They charge the same money for training or renting their aircraft as anybody else. One of the examiners working in that district is one of their instructors as well and the head instructor flies business jets for Netjets.

Sometime in 1989 when I did my PPL the first time I learned visual navigation with map and clock. Radio navigation was never a topic and I learned about VORs on my own. It proved to be helpful during my first landing at Brussels with a PA-28 Warrior. Later I convinced the owner to install a Garmin GPS100 and one of the instructors of a flight school at EDVK just last year reached out to me to comment on my remarks years about that having a moving map would be so helpful. Back then when I was advocating the GPS100 he deemed it unnecessary. Yes, it was. I flew from EDVK to Budapest in another PA-28 from VOR to VOR as VFR-only PPL and that worked but all the cross-checking was tedious.

I believe that once people start to go places the use of GPS is a no-brainer. If they only fly around the local airfield, then they never realize the value and are overwhelmed with all the things one is supposed to know. The same talk happened when I learned on my own about VOR navigation and how to use the localizer for my flight to Brussels. It is related to small aircraft “as a means for travel” vs “as a hobby”.

Frequent travels around Europe

Aircraft with a panel mounted IFR approach approved GPS is still in the minority in the US with 33.3% so equipped. However VFR GPS equipage is fairly high at 41.3%. Overall, GPS panel mount equipage is pretty ubiquitous in addition to very high use of portables. There are still a fairly large number of IFR flights that use the domestic equipment codes of /U (transponder) or /A (transponder with DME) which don’t claim any GPS capability.

KUZA, United States

I don’t agree that a GNS430 or some other panel mount is bad for VFR

Well, sure, it can be used, if you’re immune to pain. But it’s a very inefficient way to use one’s funds, anything you can do with a panel mount for VFR you can do a lot better with your tablet/phone and an application, at a small fraction of the cost

This is a route from Shoreham EGKA to Cranfield EGTC via MID WOD WCO and it is very close to the optimum you would fly using any other tool.

Sure, you can find the occasional city pair where it works like this. And if you’re happy to choose the airports to visit by the availability of a good route using VOR’s, go for it. I tend to want to choose the places to visit using different criteria. In my part of the world, I would get nowhere using that strategy.

The exception to the foregoing would be if flying VFR through airspace which is so complicated that it is almost impossible to plan an OCAS route using existing database waypoints

So that means 100 NM around all major european capitals are off limits

tablet solely you don’t get great stuff like the projected fuel on board at destination…

Yeah right. How many basic training aircraft will have an installation that is capable of this? The original topic was whether it makes sense to install a panel mount GPS in a basic trainer used for PPL training – such as a C152.

I’m still very much convinced it makes no sense, because:

• not many renters would want to pay 10€ more per hour to cover the installation costs
  • everything a panel mount GPS can do for VFR, a tablet app can do much better at a fraction of the cost
  • a GPS requires some getting used to operate it, so always using the same tablet app is an advantage over having different panel mount GPS in different rental aircraft
  • once you’ve finished installing a panel mount GPS, engine monitor, fuel computer, your C152 payload will most likely be negative
LSZK, Switzerland

I guess this is a UK phenomena, being anti-GPS. I have never met anyone being anti-GPS. Every school, every club here have courses and even flight training for VFR-GPS. It’s a tool like ADF or VOR and can be used when flying VFR.

But, in my opinion it should remain a extra tool. I just cannot see any positive effect of making GPS navigation compulsory for VFR. The only effect it will have is raising the bar for the equipment needed for flying VFR. Why would anyone chose to do that?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message