Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on the "How to" spread ashes from a plane

A friend of mine does this regularly from Duxford. They had horrendous problems till they rigged up a box with a remote release - I think attached to an under wing weapons mounting point, hence not permanent.

Definitely worth a dry-run or two...

CCT

I did this about a year ago in Australia....my uncle wanted his ashes spread over his farming property...I read through the numerous articles in various fora to find the best method...and determined the most common lesson learned was to not try and throw something out the window due to the very likely result of filling the cockpit with ash...I was going to rent a C172 and do the deed using a complicated loop of rope tied off to the landing gear...

However I was saved from that potentially disastrous experiment by one of the locals who had a Supercub which had been a banner tower and still had the rigging. For those not familiar, the banner towing rigging runs from the tail tow hook, up to a guide pin on the trailing edge of the right wing and back to a release mechanism on the lower right of the cockpit. The plane would takeoff and when ready to go in and pick up the banner the cockpit end is released and the cable unravels off the wing guide and ends up trailing behind with the gappling hook ready to snag the banner on the ground.....

Anyway, we put the ashes in a thick brown paper grocery bag and also put a large boulder inside. We then inserted the banner pickup grappling hook into the bag and taped it closed using duct tape. The theory was that when released the banner tow cable would snap taut in the slipstream and inieria of the boulder would cause it to tear the paper bag and thereby release the ashes. In the event we managed to scatter Uncle Frank per his wishes and much beer was consumed at the Jenna pub afterwards!....

If I was doing it again I would probably not include the boulder as whilst this is OK over farmland, it is less than ideal....

AQ

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message