Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can one do a JAA initial IR test in a plane with no ADF?

Yes – see here

is the ADF now officially dead for practical purposes? How long before the ATOs accept this fact?

I don’t think they can, all the time we have the charade of “NDB” = “instrument approach” and no formal GPS substitution concessions like they have in the USA.

Note that without DME, an appropriate route may not be available that complies with these requirements

That could be an understatement, in some locations.

The interesting point is that, at any time in the past, if the CAA IR examiner wanted to be nice to you he/she could have chosen a VOR approach instead of the NDB approach (for the nonprecision requirement). But he could never tell you this in advance. And even if you knew say a day in advance, you would still have had to train the stuff. What this new text implies is that when the examiner turns up, you can just say to him “sorry but I am not flying an NDB approach” (an “INOP” sticker on your ADF would do that nicely, too) which I do find absolutely amazing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Err, no you can’t. You can do an ICAO IR conversion without ADF on an initial test but if you are following any other route there have been no changes.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 17 Jun 17:00
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

It’s good progress for sure

In the medium term, surely this anomaly will be addressed (i.e. allow no ADF for any route to the Initial)

I was given the choice of a NDB/DME or LNAV approach for my Initial IR skills test (standard training route, not an FAA conversion). I don’t think it’s common for the GNSS option to be taken, partly because it’s not trained for that much. I assume the VNAV indicator would have been disabled but I never found out.

I did have to do an NDB hold. The nearest VOR would have required a significant diversion.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Funnily I think the only point of an NDB hold is to show you can visualise radials, intercepts and wind corrections. And there is value in being to think about these things. But these can be tested in other ways with the other NPAs and with enroute tracking.

In 2-3 years at the latest they will be relegated to same place as radio ranges and LORAN.

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Jun 20:20
EGTK Oxford

I think the only point of an NDB is to make the IR more difficult and keep students in the training environment longer. How can anyone even justify an instrument that is so badly designed, with so many errors, caused so many accidents and fatalities and couldn’t have been certified post 1950.

I also think MS DOS is a great way to understand the command line correctly, to improve your understanding of the system substructure… but do you need it these days to send an email? No! Aviation needs to move past it’s resistance to change (rant over!).

I don’t think NDBs will go away because

• AOC ops need IFR i.e. an IAP
  • the IAP doesn’t need to deliver a practical MDA but it needs to be there (i.e. the emperor has no clothes, etc)
  • most AOC aircraft have no GPS approach capability, especially the low-end short haul (twin TP etc) stuff
  • an NDB is the cheapest way to get an IAP which these planes can fly

So NDBs will always need to be trained by the traditional IR training system – until there is a formal GPS substitution concession, which for some reason Europe is resisting pretty hard.

I am not saying this is smart or right but I can’t see any way around it. If the law said that you have to wear pink underpants when flying an IAP, the FTO sausage machine would have to make their students wear pink underpants and they would be completely correct in doing so. The way to tackle the charade that NDB approaches are safe etc is not to pretend they don’t exist but to provide a formal alternative.

It is sure true that the FTO system wants to maximise revenue but I don’t think many ab initio students do the IR in less than 50hrs anyway, starting from the point where you don’t even know what a VOR is. If you took out NDBs you might save 20hrs but that is only with a pilot who already knows IFR (e.g. an FAA to EASA IR converter).

With the CB IR, the minimum is 40hrs anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

More AOC aircraft have GPS APCH capability than you suggest. In my view a GPS substitution will come soon inEurope.

EGTK Oxford
I wonder how Russian pilots found their way around in this vast continent of USSR of old times without VORs nor GPS – only loads of NDBs ? VORs would have been useless with their range anyway. So maybe no US avionic crap onboard I guess. And I am pretty sure pilot training there in state flight academies was a lot , I mean a lot more substantinal than in the west to practise NDB navigation as well. This must have been that profound that even a constant and reliable wodka level of min. 2 promille (verified before each!!! flight by the med on each airfield) was absolutely acceptable for a safe flight. A lot of accidents there were mainly extreme weather related and not a problem of poor navigation. Having done only minimal NDB nav myself what is the big problem with that ? Sure you have to watch what the wind effect has on your heading. But I learned that VORs can be off by several degrees as well . So why this flak on NDBs ? Vic
vic
EDME

I think the issue is that NDBs are inherently pretty inaccurate as are the ADF receivers in the aircraft. Of course they can work – I have flown plenty of NDB aproaches in Australia that worked well (and many that didn’t). But they are the least accurate of the modern approaches, that is why they are deprecated.

EGTK Oxford

But they are the least accurate

Not only that, but they’re also the most affected by the atmosphere, such as daytime d reflected skywaves, nighttime e reflected skywaves, coastal effect, susceptibility to thunderstorms

They also seem to be less well coordinated, and there’s no channel raster, or rather it is 1kHz but the bandwidth of the receivers is usually 3kHz or more, so you can quite often hear multiple NDB’s at different frequencies in the passband, leading to “interesting” results

While with VOR’s or ILS you can get away not listening to the audio ident, for NDB’s that’s not a good idea.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message