Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The right aircraft for PPL training

@Shorrick Mk2 you are right it’s in the noise certificate, and probably comes from this para 1.4

Last Edited by tomjnx at 28 Apr 09:34
LSZK, Switzerland

So one could do basic training only if you are below 68dB?! Most of the Piper trainers are same noise class as I am. Are they really that much quieter?!

Edit – I found the answer
"
Das BAZL kann in begründeten Einzelfällen befristete Ausnahmen gestatten,
insbesondere:
a. für Segelflug-Grossanlässe, wenn mehr Schleppflugzeuge benötigt werden,
als mit vernünftigem Aufwand beschafft werden können, oder wenn einzelne
Flugzeuge technische Pannen haben;
b. für die Grundschulung auf einem bestimmten Flugzeug, wenn die auszubildende
Person glaubhaft macht, dass sie nach dem Abschluss der Ausbildung
hauptsächlich mit diesem Flugzeug fliegen wird."

EG if you demonstrate you will mostly fly that one specific aircraft, then you can train in it. How many different types does the BAZL think are still out there in GA?!

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 28 Apr 09:49

“Complex” is not even a term that is defined in Part FCL.

I think EASA defines complex as 5700kg , > 19 pax , 2 crew etc.

But not really relevant in the context of PPL training. The only thing I found is the requirement for the CPL which doesn’t mandate “complex” but specifically request experience of 5 hours and the skill test to be on an aircraft with variable pitch and retractable undercarriage.

We converted our heli pilot to fixed wing on the Commander which of course is complex and EFIS equipped, insurance could have been an issue but he has 2500 hours on heli’s, CPL, IR etc so we had a ‘dispensation’, so I think that the only real issue is getting insured..

Although an ab-initio might feel more comfortable in a PA28 to start with!

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

because no flying school in Europe is ever going to be allowed to train in N-regs towards EASA papers…

Oh yes, they do. I know of one (which isn’t doing PPL training but still). It can be done.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

which isn’t doing PPL training but still

Exactly…

You can train towards FAA licenses, in the UK, in an N-reg, with DfT permission. I did that in 2004 (FAA PPL) and again in 2007 (FAA CPL) and again in 2011 (JAA IR) but I had the UK JAA PPL which made me legit PIC in the aircraft in UK airspace.

It is still impossible to legally do an ab initio (meaning: the student has no other PPL whatsoever) FAA PPL in the UK (or anywhere outside the USA) that way. Well, not unless the airspace owner grants the student a special dispensation and I have never heard of that.

There are other things you can do if you “stay below the radar” (fairly easy in some places) but that is probably no longer possible in the UK, after the wheels came off some operations, starting with. that Cessna twin crash where the DPE examiner was sitting in the back (c. 2004 I think).

No way could a normal flying school train the EASA PPL, ab initio, in an N-reg, to a student with no other papers.

It is possible for an N-reg to be used for AOC work, subject to various requirements one of which is full Part M maintenance and EASA papers for the crew (i.e. no advantage).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That would require it to be certified as CS-23 doesn’t it? VLA certification prohibits IFR operation.

There was a push to allow IFR for VLAs. I don’t know where it is, if it’s alive at all. Proposal was that such an aircraft would have to meet relevant CS-23 requirements. But because some of these aircraft wouldn’t easily meet lightning strike protection requirements, possibility to restrict operations to areas without lightning activity (or some such thing) and possibly mandate something like stormscope (so you would know where you are not supposed to be) was proposed.

Last Edited by Martin at 28 Apr 19:41

Regarding doing PPL training on a TB20 or SR20 : is it even possible (in the legal sense) ? I heard from people that you could not instruct a PPL on a “complex” aircraft.

Yep, definitely legal.

Even in EASA land you can do ab initio PPL exclusively in a twin. You will just need 70 hours of solo to meet the requirement for MEP class rating. AFAIK regs don’t say you can count solo hours towards PIC hours requirements (but say you can count solo, dual, PIC and co-pilot towards total, so they differentiate solo and PIC; oversight I guess) but one EASA OEB report stated precisely this – that it was theoretically possible, they just assume everybody does SEP first.

In FAA land, one way to get an endorsement for a complex, high performance, etc. aircraft is to do your practical PPL test in it.

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message