Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna giving up on diesel?

I’m still saving.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Achim,

How so? The SMA engine has an excellent track record

Then why have they not managed to get somewhere after they lost the Cessna prototype? That has been now how long?

Had they had that prototyp back in the air after an engine change and swift reaction after it, there would have been less damage to the reputation. Right now, you can see that quite a lot of folk seem to have written the project off.

These things do not have to be rational all the time. The CD300 suffered a massive blow with that accident in terms of buyer confidence, particularly as it takes so long to come up with a proper explanation and the project is still on hold pretty much? It doesn’t take much to destroy confidence in this business and once it is destroyed it is VERY hard to get it back.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The CD-300? AFAIK it’s flying in at least one SR22 prototype without many problems.

Then why have they not managed to get somewhere after they lost the Cessna prototype? That has been now how long?

Had they had that prototyp back in the air after an engine change and swift reaction after it, there would have been less damage to the reputation.

The crankshaft broke. That is a very serious issue and requires thorough analysis. Has to do with metallurgy and production processes. You need to make sure you fully understand why that happened, how such a problem was possible and prove that it is fully addressed by whatever change you make.

It doesn’t take much to destroy confidence in this business and once it is destroyed it is VERY hard to get it back.

No, once it’s there all difficulties will be forgotten. There is still no competitor and nothing has changed much in terms of market size and demand.

No, once it’s there all difficulties will be forgotten.

Absolutely not. Just look at how the reputation of the engines formerly known under the Thielert brand sticks like the stench of skunk. And this stench has propagated to all diesel engines among the general private pilot population.

Almost daily do I hear from pilots that they will never fly an airplane with a diesel engine.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 14 May 19:53
LFPT, LFPN
…. you still remember broken crankshafts with Lyco ???? Vic
vic
EDME

75 percent of all European Airplane owners (my estimate) would love to have a reliable Diesel engine. If the CD-300 Diesel V-6 is available for the SR22 in some years, I’ll be the first one to switch.

Pilots who fly Lycomings and Continentals have little reason to very opionionated against modern Diesel engines.

Now Thielert is a different matter. That company made many other mistakes.

73,3% of stats are wrong… including this one.

They would love to have a reliable diesel, but they just do not believe diesels are reliable and that extends to all diesels. Every time I talk to anyone about diesel, the reaction is “I’ll never get into one”. On the other hand, those that are the most vocal about it are the ones that you pay attention to… So maybe the pro-diesel crowd is a silent one

LFPT, LFPN

It wasn’t a stat, it was my personal opinion, after talking with pilots as an aviation journalist for +20 years.

Why have I never heard any pilot say that? Strange coincedence, isn’t it?

It wasn’t a stat, it was my personal opinion,

I did get that. Just joking.

Why have I never heard any pilot say that? Strange coincedence, isn’t it?

Maybe you are blessed with being surrounded by open-minded, clever people who look at the hard facts instead of listening to their lambic system. I may not be so lucky

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message