Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft VAT / import VAT / getting busted upon landing in the EU (merged thread)

export out of the Union is one case where the “free circulation” of goods terminates

So we are back to a “zero conclusion” about which registrations “cannot” be checked for VAT

Because any could be exported out of the EU and re-imported.

It also makes the “Hamburg database” a bit pointless, doesn’t it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
You cannot export an aircraft without de-registering it as the new country will want a deregistration. So there will be a history of the aircraft somewhere in the administration. When that aircraft goes onto the fresh registration back in same/your country you will have to pay VAT again for importing it. So again you will get papers stating that. Some years ago we actually had a phone call from a customs officer who had found our Yak in Eggenfelden while searching around for foreign registered aircraft. He wanted proof that we had imported the aircraft and VAT paid. At that time the Yak was probably still on the Russian private FLA register as RA ***K , but EU VAT was paid when the former British owner imported it from Lithuania in 2003. So of course we had the paper from him to send a copy to the customs and that was that. So no problems later when the Yak went onto the D-reg. Vic
Last Edited by vic at 03 Nov 17:52
vic
EDME

I think that you are wrong on this one. In the car world (which may be different?) a car from Europe is sold to a buyer in the USA and the car is moved to there for several years.
If the same American buyer then brings the car back into Europe NO VAT is payable,however, if he sells the car to someone else and they bring it into Europe VAT is payable.

Indeed – the “export” as in “Export CofA” is not the same as “export” for VAT purposes.

You can export and re-import and re-export and re-import a plane without changing its registration, and vice versa.

In the UK you can even move a plane in and out of a Trust and it has no bearing on any taxation aspect.

An interesting angle, Quatrelle, and probably in most re-import cases the plane will have changed ownership too so import VAT will have to be paid again.

This stuff makes one realise just how vulnerable GA is IF somebody wanted to have a go. Being D-reg or F-reg doesn’t really mean anything unless you have proof of continuous EU residence after the registration.

Administrator

But that’s really basic customs stuff. If you have a car in Munich, then you have to LIVE in Munich to. If you move to Frankfurt you have to register it there, within 3 months.

I cannot even have a car of my Czech company, because most of the time I’m in Munich, and if I’m here more than 180 days the car has to be registered here aswell.

And if you buy an N-reg airplane you have to pay VAT after 180 days too.

Just browsed through some import “to do” list and there seems to be no automatic connection between register and VAT. But, import is an official transaction that has to be signed by several parties (by the looks of it). When the airplane is flown across the border, you have 48 hours to inform customs.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Flyer59 wrote:

But that’s really basic customs stuff. If you have a car in Munich, then you have to LIVE in Munich to. If you move to Frankfurt you have to register it there, within 3 months.

But that’s a German peculiarity. Most countries don’t operate that way.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s not right. You cannot have a german registered car (for long) in Paris or in Prague either. And if you move to Vienna you have only 3 months to register your car there, and the fines are high. About the UK i don’t know.

I checked the UK: You are not allowed to live in England as a EU resident and drive a german or EU registered car there. The rules seem to be even more strict than in Germany.

You are not allowed to live in England as a EU resident and drive a german or EU registered car there

Not permanently…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message