Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft VAT / import VAT / getting busted upon landing in the EU (merged thread)

As was stated earlier by another poster. Is it any wonder that GA is dying in Europe. With all the cost and ALL the BS regulations who would embark on such a foolish venture but a starry eyed 20yr old who has no concept of reality.

Wonder why you stick around here if it’s all that bad…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Achim Ah Statistics where the impossible becomes probable. If you take 100,000 pilots and 5% die in the US that is 5000. In Germany of 10000 pilots 5% die that is 500 so 10x as many pilots will die in the US than in Europe. The conclusion is that living in the US is 10x more dangerous than in Europe. Another way to look at this is that after 20 yrs the US pilot population will be 0 and at the same time the EU pilot population will be 0 as well. Even though more pilots are dying every year in the US.

As far as private sales are concerned just like the Greeks most everyone cheats with the numbers. Besides the sales tax is much lower than the VAT. Its actually 3x lower.So when all is said and done even without cheating the hit is spread among 3 sales. With the last person paying the least. While we are at it there is no sales tax on labor or parts in many states for aircraft.

KHTO, LHTL

Bosco Its for love.

Put that aside, it still dosent change the teeth nashing aggravation of the system. Just look at the VAT tread. I mean really. You break the law retroactively because you exercised the use of a legal way not to pay taxes. Whats next?

Dont get me wrong things are not all roses in the US. Witness Ed Kohlin trying to get the FAAs blessing for Camguard in TB engines. It would cost another $300000 in needless testing. And for what? Some moron at the FAA whose shorts are to tight or who needs some hooker to whip him into submission at night is exercising his power or authority. Or what about the Yahoo in charge of the fiasco with ECI and Superior? They have no brains and so make a stupid decisions but are gutless to admit when they are wrong.

So dont get offended when I call it like I see it. There is plenty of bureaucratic stupidity in the US its just that Europe being an older civilization you have had more time to take it to a higher level.

KHTO, LHTL

Just look at the VAT tread. I mean really. You break the law retroactively because you exercised the use of a legal way not to pay taxes.

That’s not the case.

So dont get offended when I call it like I see it.

It’s just that you make the impression on me (and probably others) that you don’t really enjoy the flying here in Europe much. Then why do you do it?

Others sure enjoy it quite much. And it sure much is a matter of attitude.

I sure have done my share of flying in the US, and on the whole, I enjoy it much over here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 May 21:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

BTW, in the US you pay taxes on owning and even on the private sale of aircraft, at least in many states. That is very rare in Europe. In Germany you pay nothing for a private aircraft.

Not 100% correct. It all depends whether you make a profit or how long you owned the aircraft.
Finanzamt (German Taxman) will hount you.

United Kingdom

I pay an annual tax of about $300 for my (2) U.S. based planes combined. I could actually avoid it entirely by displaying them once a month – but in my case it’s not worth the trouble, particularly with two planes.

I paid one time sales tax of about $2000 combined when I bought them, based on the sale prices I reported.

I am still trying to validate the original info I got about the UK private individual who bought the plane in a private sale and got done for VAT by UK Customs. Two accountants thus far advise me this is not possible, in this exact scenario.

The whole thing would hang on a provision in the UK VAT regs whereby VAT liability moves with the asset.

Normally, of course, it does not. If you buy something from a firm which has gone bust without paying the import VAT, that is just a bad debt on Customs i.e. the UK taxpayer. They don’t go after the firm’s customers to recover the VAT. I am sure they could if there was collusion but we are talking about an "arm’s length sale here. But it is never that simple… you don’t get title to stolen goods that way and they can be recovered from a subsequent owner.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Im N reg have owned the plane for 30+ years and have never been required to have an aircraft journey log.

If the aircraft doesn’t have a journey log, how do you keep track of the flight time?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you buy something from a firm which has gone bust without paying the import VAT, that is just a bad debt on Customs i.e. the UK taxpayer. They don’t go after the firm’s customers to recover the VAT. I am sure they could if there was collusion but we are talking about an "arm’s length sale here.

Indeed! From what I read here this kind of VAT trouble seems to happen primarily in France. Is there something special about French VAT legislation?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

He probably uses the plane’s recording tach for aircraft TIS (Time In Service) recording.

Last Edited by Michael at 31 May 08:35
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message