Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mind the ditch

achimha wrote:

I just looked at a Kodiak Quest today that crashed into the garden of the Croatian prime minister on an island because it ran out of fuel.

I haven’t read any update on this accident … it looks like ordinary Croatian aircrash investigation – completely clueless investigators, total lack of knowledge and no final conclusion.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

achimha wrote:

Crashing on a remote island outside an airport is the worst of all in terms of recovery but it seems to be possible…

No big deal: hitch the trailer, drive it down to the crash site, winch the plane up and bring it to the shop. Okay irrespective of the island thing ;-)

EDLE

That 404 looks like it is sitting on a surface which somebody (not the airport?) owns. In that case it can stay there for ever. UK airports are full of planes which have sat in the same place for 5-10 years or more, but on private land. I even organised a prebuy for one Archer 2 for a friend; it turned out it was sitting there for 9 years and even the oil filter had rusted through. It was for sale for £40k!

What is the law on these things? Once the shop removed one engine to clear its debt, what can it do with the rest of the plane? I am sure there is a procedure, established over centuries… this stuff must be mankind’s second oldest profession. But the Greece does have some unusual laws. There is a huge amount of formerly beautiful but derelict buildings; I am told by locals the local govt won’t touch them (even if the owner cannot be traced) unless there is a direct risk to the public walking past.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In N Europe it would be disposed of in days …

I wouldn’t say that… In Dublin (EIDW) a C404 that I used to fly many years ago is rotting in a corner since five or six years after the operator went bankrupt and nobody wanted to pay for the fuel to fly it back. After a while, the owner of the maintenance shop who had a lot of unpaid bills flew there with one of his aeroplanes and removed an engine as compensation for the money he was owed. Which means that it is going to stay there forever… (https://www.flickr.com/photos/79340615@N07/6960825768/)

EDDS - Stuttgart

I just looked at a Kodiak Quest today that crashed into the garden of the Croatian prime minister on an island because it ran out of fuel. They put it on a ferry and then a low-loading truck and ferried it all the way from Croatia to Germany where it is being repaired for many months now. Crashing on a remote island outside an airport is the worst of all in terms of recovery but it seems to be possible…

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=167991

Last Edited by achimha at 22 Jun 17:09

I think any sufficiently remote airport (e.g. anywhere in southern Europe, if you are based in the north) will “collect” an aircraft if its value is similar to the cost of transporting it back.

The difference is that Greece doesn’t do anything (or much) about the wrecks. In N Europe it would be disposed of in days and the owner would be pursued for some “environmental damage” cost, which would be big if there was a fuel spillage.

In this case the aircraft is probably worthless, with both engines needing a shock load inspection, both props gone, etc. That’s unless it is packed with nice avionics, but you can pull those out and walk away with them.

Administrator

So, it will probably stay there. Looks like greek airports are collectors of Piper Aztecs. Peter’s photo from Santorini comes to mind.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good to see that Greek journalists are no better than their colleagues elsewehere: " Specifically a single-engine turboprop aircraft type Piper 23-250 "

And certainly nobody is going to move that wreck to the United States for repair. Better ones can be bought for less than the transport alone will cost, not to speak of the repair itself. But of course it would be interesting to know what really made this aeroplane end up in the ditch.

Last Edited by what_next at 22 Jun 14:15
EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

They had probably just read the UK’s premium quality newspaper

Yes amongst others it reports the incident as taking place in the airports runway where it run uncontrolled without wheels until it stopped, a single engine aircraft and that it will be immediately be shipped to America where it was constructed for repair. Google translation.

LGMG Megara, Greece

They had probably just read the UK’s premium quality newspaper

Administrator
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message