Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New forum section: IT

The funny thing is that if you start accumulating avionics maintenance manuals you get to see how stuff is designed, and it isn't any more advanced (in the basic electronics behind the LCD screens) than what one was doing in the 1980s.

Yesterday I looked up the KAP140 (1996) and the KFC150 (1980!).

I was astonished the KFC150 went back to 1980. It has been said that it is a predecessor of the KFC225 (designed c. 1998) but it's nothing like it. The servos (KS27xB) are simple designs, very reliable.

My Sandel fuel totaliser has, IIRC, a Z80 and 2 or 3 PCBs crammed into the box. I cannot believe they still make it. It is late-1970s. The EDM700 is similar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh, you should see the electronics and auto-pilot of IR guided missiles from 80-ies. Russian technology improved by Yugoslav engineers ... those were the days [smile]

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just want to make one comment on the 'Russian' theme before I bow out and leave you techy pervs to it..........

When I was learning how to use PMW (Project Manager's Workbench) planning software 15 years ago, the guy who took the course had just come back from Russia and he said they had some of the best project planners in the world. But due to the fact that they couldn't afford PC's they had to use graph paper and pencils to plot durations, dependencies and critical paths.

EGNT

Ah, Octal! This is my favorite computer of all time (any PDP11 actually).

[ dead link ]

A real engineer's machine! Every register and memeory location could be read or written to using the front panel keys - you could drive it single-step or load a machine code 'noddy' program to excercise any part of the system!

Barton is my spiritual home.

Let’s see if anyone can figure this one out (yes, there is a solution)

#QBdg%HGILH&R9vch)NBTAt5.X3oWb\BxMbn5,GR0wTQ*0xuHBc=

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

#QBdg%HGILH&R9vch)NBTAt5.X3oWb\BxMbn5,GR0wTQ*0xuHBc=

Solve that? Highlight, delete. I must have fell asleep with my face on the keyboard.

Sweden

It has a solution. I know because I designed it myself.

With so many IT-nerds on the forum I figured somebody should be able to crack it. Nobody at my previous work figured it out.

ESME, ESMS

Presumably it is one of the encodings used in email attachments; nowadays often used for the text as well. Base-64, etc. There are online decoders for these.

A histogram shows it’s all printable range (obviously) and “B” is the most common character

Assuming English and – Edgar Allan Poe stuff here – looking for the most common trigram “THE” might fit if the string starts with that. It doesn’t help…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You were on the right path in the beginning.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

It has a solution. I know because I designed it myself.

I tried Base85 and uuencode before you said it was your own invention. Sorry, but I don’t have the stamina to try to crack that…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message