Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

mancival wrote:

can the 1h training flight be done with a non-UK EASA FI, for the revalidation of a UK-issued-EASA-PPL SEP rating?

Yes, I have done that for years.

I used to do the one hour flight with an EASA FI on the continent and then had it signed off by a UK FI, who sent the paperwork to the CAA. No problems at all. What I admiittedly don’t know is if the date of the flight or the date of the UK FI signature is the important date. I never cut it as close as you do here, so didn’t run into that.

I suggest you get your flight done and properly logged and then find a UK FI/CRI to sign it off. AFAIK there are a few on here who might be able to help.

@mancival

Just to double check on related points:
- can the 1h training flight be done with a non-UK EASA FI, for the revalidation of a UK-issued-EASA-PPL SEP rating?

When I had my EASA PPL issued from the UK CAA, I did the flight with an non-UK EASA FI and had to send the documents to the CAA to get the licence revalidated. Specifically, I had to send in my original logbook where the FI signed/confirmed the 1h training flight, copies of the FI’s licence & medical, and the revalidation application next to the form for the payment details. It went pretty smooth everytime, with turnaround times between one or two weeks (= getting back the log book and the newly issued licence).

You might be interested in the EASA Examiners Differences Document, where all the country specific details are summarized.

Link: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/aircrew-and-medical#group-easa-related-content

can it be possible that my UK-issued EASA ppl has no expiry, while the Italy-issued EASA ppl of my father must be renewed every 5 years

Well, technically your EASA-licence has no expiry, while the class-rating expires after two years…

Last Edited by Marcel at 26 Jan 17:22
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

About the suggestion of sending license and logbook to the UK CAA for SEP revalidation, Peter mentioned that any expired rating will be deleted when sent back, and I have an expired IR(R) rating on my license. So not sure is a viable way for me.

United Kingdom

Peter mentioned that any expired rating will be deleted when sent back, and I have an expired IR(R) rating on my license.

Interesting point. Would it really be easier to renew an expired rating when it’s still on the licence? Even if deleted from your licence, it still is in your file at the CAA?

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

This is purely speculation but it may be that if you do a flight with the examiner and he signs the thing which is still printed on your license, you regain the privileges immediately. This is obviously true for a revalidation, and may be true for a renewal.

Whereas if the said thing is no longer on the license you definitely do not regain the privileges until the CAA has processed the paperwork (weeks, months?).

Can anyone verify the first part? The second part is definitely true – as I well know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter has a valid point on expired rating disappearing, one has to keep all copies of revalidation records to sort that out if it happens !

While you do keep the old licence with an expired rating on it, an examiner can’t sign the rating on neither the new or the old licence, so all paperwork have to go back to CAA again and it will take some time to process, especially, if what CAA has on file does not match your old licence details (a lost revalidation form somewhere) but now one can check their ratings details online in CAA website

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 19:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and may be true for a renewal
At least the german LBA does not allow examiners to renew ratings through a manual license entry. Our authorization for license entries only covers revalidations.
Last Edited by tschnell at 26 Jan 22:13
Friedrichshafen EDNY

tschnell wrote:

At least the german LBA does not allow examiners to renew ratings through a manual license entry. Our authorization for license entries only covers revalidations.

Does the LBA require a german issued examiner rating for revalidation of, e.g., SEP, IR?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Does the LBA require a german issued examiner rating for revalidation of, e.g., SEP, IR?
No, but the relevant sections of the Examiner Differences Document local copy need to be complied with.
Friedrichshafen EDNY

The easiest solution will be to send your licence with certificate of revalidation and logbook to a UK-administered Part-FCL examiner. The examiner may endorse the certificate of revalidation for the revalidation by experience of an SEP class rating if the relevant criteria in FCL.740.A(b)(ii) have been met and the rating has not expired. The logbook entry for the refresher training flight, if required, should be certified by the instructor: see (b)(4) in AMC1 FCL.050. You should enclose a copy of form SRG 1119E with sections 1, 2, 3, and 5 completed. Section 4 will be completed by the examiner. You must then send the completed form to UK CAA if the examiner does not do so. It is sufficient if the form is sent within a fortnight as the purpose is merely to update licensing records. SRG forms may be found at www.caa.co.uk/fclforms

It is probably too late to despatch the licence to the authority for it to make the endorsement. As mentioned other ratings or certificates, if they have expired, shall not be included in a re-issued licence. ARA.FCL.220(b) in Part-ARA. A valid appropriate medical certificate must also be included. Use form SRG 1119B and see guidance notes in SRG 1119F (disregard the reference to 3 years — discussed separately here). The current fee is 93 GBP.

The power to endorse a licence for the revalidation by experience of an SEP class rating is an administrative action left to competent authorities rather than a privilege conferred by Part-FCL on examiners. Some competent authorities such as UK CAA delegate this function to examiners under their administration. Therefore this kind of endorsement is outside the scope of the EASA Examiner Differences Document which addresses licence endorsements done following skill tests, proficiency checks, and assessments of competence pursuant to FCL.1030(b)(2).

An expired rating can be renewed by attempting a proficiency check with an appropriate Part-FCL examiner. In this case the examiner need not be under UK administration on the condition that the examiner complies with the instructions in the EASA EDD. The examiner shall endorse the certificate of revalidation if the rating is still listed there otherwise it must be re-issued by the authority.

Re the UK CAP 1585 examiner lists. Personal details were removed from these with the implementation of the GDP Regulation. There were UK-administered Part-FCL examiners in Spain, France, Malta, Cyprus, US and Canada but not Italy.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message