Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

This is why I think a raft is your only viable option. Life jackets will just make sure they find your body. And if you insist on a drysuit, your passengers will soon, ahem, dry up It’s great but IMHO a step too far. I would rather take an airline than have to wear that, on my trips around Europe.

The best plan is to ditch near a boat or a ship, preferably not anything too big. Then you might get away without anything, if it all works out just right. In the English Channel you have perhaps a 25% chance of finding something down there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Better than that surely!

EIMH, Ireland

The figures often quoted for survival in cold water are for virtually naked humans. Wool clothing in particular keeps insulation in water. In my mid twenties I regularly capsized a sailing dinghy in a Scottish loch, and once got the mast stuck in mud. No wetsuits.
There is also a huge difference between individuals. I go for a lifejacket – worn, not carried.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Wool clothing in particular keeps insulation in water.

Thats`s correct. You can increase the effect with a dry suit. On longer flights above the sea I wear this (Dry Fashion):

Berlin, Germany

@highflyer – as dry suits go, that looks pretty comfortable!
I think I’m with @Peter though – get a raft or fly easyjet (or make sensible short hops).

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenance-avionics/1298-aviation-life-rafts-merged/post/165812#165812
- shame this is discontinued :(

Last Edited by jgmusic at 15 Nov 22:09
jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

A quick google search brought up these numbers for max survival times

0° Celsius 8 min 2,5° Celsius 26 min 5° Celsius 55 min 10° Celsius 1 h 40 min 15° Celsius 6 h 20 min 20° Celsius 16 h 20 min 25° Celsius 3 days and more

On top of that the time you can keep your breath is significantly reduced in cold water.

Let‘s assume that the average temperature is around 10 degrees, that it takes some time until the rescue chain starts, helicopter flight time, flying the search pattern etc it is obvious that you will run out of time pretty quickly.

Also don‘ t believe that after activation of your PLB immediate rescue actions take place.
I agree that ditching near a ship might be a good idea. Problem is that they have to recognize you and that big ships might need several kms to stop. They usually have no equipment to locate your PLB on board. Therefore it is a good idea to carry a MOB beacon inside your life vest, which most of them can locate to rescue their own crew.
I completely agree with Peter – on the North Sea you need a liferaft to have descent survival chances. Last but not least a raft is also a lot easier to spot than a single person with a life vest.

jgmusic wrote:

that looks pretty comfortable!

Yes, it is. Additionally I wear a life vest and of course I do have a raft on board.

Berlin, Germany

You can usually pick up the 196 on Ebay for peanuts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message