Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

quatrelle wrote:

When you have a life raft on board you should always carry a sharp knife to hand in case it goes off unexpectedly,

This is the pic that I have seen somewhere before ……

That’s pretty impressive! Did it happen on the ground, or in flight?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A knife in the aircraft to protect from accidental life raft deployment is a good idea but keep it well hidden in the aircraft or the yogurt police will in a second remove it for your own protection.

Peter wrote:

That’s pretty impressive! Did it happen on the ground, or in flight?

I dont know, but its not exactly aerodynamic

They are introducing a mini version

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/592606

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I originally posted it under Cannes-Corsica-Tuscany but this Yachting Monthly article is very good and more relevant to this thread

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Apart from a suitable liferaft (winslow, 6p) and lifejackets equipped with a PLB, what would you absolutely have on board for a flight that’s roughly two hours over the Mediterranean?

There are also some legal provisions acc. EASA NCO, but some are vague (the pic must satisfy that ____ depending on _____ – not clearly defined).

To do:
Water activated strobes for lifejackets.
Check sea state before flight.
Check if local SAR units are available during flight.
Bring a floating marine VHF/GPS radio.
Drinking water.
Pyro-flares.
Pyro-rockets.
Pyro-Smoke.
Water-dye-color.
Signalling mirror.
Batteries/Powerpack
Warm functional clothing.
Blanket.
Compass.

Keep it as small as possible and fit it all in a yellow drybag. The plbs/lights are on the lifevest on the person during the flight.

Brief exactly what to do in case of engine failure and splashdown (Cirrus CAPS).

1. Get liferaft out on the wing.
2. Inflate
3. Step in and help second person in.
4. If time second person grabs drybag in the process.

Appreciate your comments!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think you have it all. Laptop and satellite data device not to get bored?

Some make it with a floating piece of wreckage only
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10548518/Aerobatic-pilot-rescued-from-sea-after-crash

LPFR, Poland

A search here for

survival

digs out various threads.

I think your list is good. Loads of people have flown for hours across the Med with just life jackets. I would never do that but I do do it with just a life raft.

It can be especially trucky under VFR, keeping under the very low Italian Class A for a huge distance, west of Italy. Often too low to have any radio contact.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“I would never do that but I do do it with just a life raft.”
If you mean without wearing lifejackets, I think you’re gambling.
I wear a life jacket but have never carried a liferaft, on much shorter trips, but with colder water.
From winter dinghy racing, and capsizing without a wetsuit, years ago, the buoyancy aid left my hands and legs free to right the dinghy. The lifejacket would give you much more confidence on a slippery? TB wing, and might be essential in getting into the raft.
And survival time with wet but thick clothing covering your trunk varies greatly from person to person.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message