Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

Sounds like a spell on your hangar, and not a good one… ;-)

EDM_, Germany

The television news carried images from mobile phones taken by people on the beach.
There was a swell and he put it down far enough away from the beach so as not to endanger bathers.
The aircraft sank quite quickly leaving just the tail above the water. Rescuers/lifeguards got to them pretty quickly. All three of them.had injuries but not life threatening.

France

gallois wrote:

The aircraft sank quite quickly leaving just the tail above the water

Most high-wingers will sink quickly until the wings are on the surface, it seemed to remain afloat quite long from that point on.

Report+interview (in French)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

T7-SAR

That registration is like asking for a ditching (with ensuing search and rescue).

always learning
LO__, Austria

From here

aart wrote:

Obviously, over water I am always going to pull the chute.

I recently asked about the cost of having a BRS fitted to a homebuilt (organisation doing all the work…not me) and was given an indicative price of €12K+VAT. The type wasn’t an RV. But it’s worth thinking about.

Unless you build the home-build yourself, you’re putting a significant amount of faith in the builder. So a BRS, in addition to the ditching scenario, gives you a way out if the builder didn’t do their job very well.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Off topic, but with 3 ditchings at least in the past month (2 being Cessnas) I am beginning to think that there is another safety measure which could come in handy and that is one of those loud air horns.
If you are out at sea and you ditch even with a parachute, you habe probably manouvered towards the nearest boat. But how do you attract their attention? There is likely to be no engine noise to do it.
And if you want to ditch near a beach you need to be out of the way of bathers and lilos. And again with no engine noise how do you attract attention.
Sorry Peter🙃

France

Regarding the equipment…
Just example of one real ad hoc SAR flight in Dubrovnik (LDDU) area, end of 2022.

Life west + high visibility cover, emergency torch (visible)
+ (not visible) => emergency floating smoke can, small axe, PLB, Spare Air, additional air band radio packed in water prof container.
& the pilot is scuba diver, which can help too.

2 days of 450 km of low level flights along the shore line of Dubrovnik and islands in front, with some special VFR conditions.
Total 7,5 h with ferry flights.

Here picture of preparation for take off from LDSH

One of search patterns on known SW

Croatia

dublinpilot wrote:

I recently asked about the cost of having a BRS fitted to a homebuilt (organisation doing all the work…not me) and was given an indicative price of €12K+VAT.

That’s sounds very reasonable. What aircraft was that?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

was given an indicative price of €12K+VAT

Got to watch this. The chute might work out to be an expensive way to fly over water, especially in a type with a low Vs which could land almost anywhere on land.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

That’s sounds very reasonable. What aircraft was that?

It was for a Dyn Aero MCR4S.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message